Cecil Jones College

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Cecil Jones College

Post by ToadMum »

DD has been allocated, and we have accepted, a place at Cecil Jones College. This of course is the school we decided not to go and look at originally (and did not have on our CAF), but we have now, and I have to say that all the staff I have had contact with have been very helpful and welcoming.

Are there any others out there on the Forum whose DC will be going to Cecil Jones in September, either by own choice or LA allocation? DD was one of 5 at her primary school allocated to Cecil Jones having not put it as a preference initially, although one girl we know will now be going elsewhere; anecdotally it would appear that Cecil Jones would seem to be the "mopper up" for un-allocated DC in the Leigh on Sea area?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Chai

Re: Cecil Jones College

Post by Chai »

I remember reading a few years back that a pair of sisters (twins) who had attended Cecil Jones had made it into Cambridge or had done amazingly well....something like that.

I hope this helps.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Chai wrote:I remember reading a few years back that a pair of sisters (twins) who had attended Cecil Jones had made it into Cambridge or had done amazingly well....something like that.

I hope this helps.
I know that it's been viewed poorly locally in recent years compared to 20 or so years ago (it was my alternative school had I not gone to grammar) and had gone into special measures, but our neighbour is a governor there and said they had come on a long way.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Certainly, the new Head seems to be pulling the school up, with the pragmatic intention that they will progress via "good" to "outstanding" i.e. no rhetoric about going straight there from their recent "satisfactory" assessment (although having read the Ofsted reports, I thought that the substance of the most recent one - taking the school out of Special Measures - actually seems to amount to slightly better than the overall Satisfactory).

Fortunately, DD has good role models; two of her Scout leaders attended Cecil Jones.

There are certainly schools which we would have been more unhappy at being allocated...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Manana

Post by Manana »

ToadMum wrote:Certainly, the new Head seems to be pulling the school up, with the pragmatic intention that they will progress via "good" to "outstanding" i.e. no rhetoric about going straight there from their recent "satisfactory" assessment (although having read the Ofsted reports, I thought that the substance of the most recent one - taking the school out of Special Measures - actually seems to amount to slightly better than the overall Satisfactory).

Fortunately, DD has good role models; two of her Scout leaders attended Cecil Jones.

There are certainly schools which we would have been more unhappy at being allocated...
5 letters and starts with 'ch'?!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

5 letters and starts with 'ch'?!
Now, why would you suggest that?? Although I have heard that the new Head there is quite dynamic as well, and the school was apparently oversubscribed this year! I am not really sure how Southend dealt with those of us who couldn't be offered any of our choices this year, though. One of the "allocated Cecil Jones" boys is in Chase catchment and as far as I am aware had it on his CAF, but one of DD's best friends who also failed the 11+ who would probably rather have gone anywhere else has been allocated Chase.

The other place we might have expected ourselves being given of course is Futures; I only know one child who actually goes there - current yr7 - and she actually wanted to go there and is really happy; my relief at DD not being allocated a place there is mainly because it is right next door to SHSG, which would have been absolute torture for DD :( .
maxine

Post by maxine »

Obviously I don't know were in Southend you live but my son's primary sent letters home saying they still have places at Deanes and I've heard very good things about the school. :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Deanes was promoted at DD / DS2's school as well. Several children are going there but DD for some reason completely took against the place and didn't want it to go on her CAF.

Uniform would be somewhat easier to get hold of, though! Most of the uniform for Cecil Jones has to be bought from the school; although the system actually seems quite simple for some reason I find myself worrying far more about that than e.g. mislaying DD in transit (she has already learnt the hard way that even if the bus stop she is waiting at is only served by one route, unless she sticks her hand out at the right time some bus drivers are quite happy to assume that she is standing there for some purpose completely unconnected with wanting to travel by bus :shock: ).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Well, we've had Transition Day and Meet the Tutor evening, and to our great relief, DD loves all she has seen so far (not at all influenced by the school arranging for an ice-cream van to park in the playground at the end of the day and supply all the newbies with a free cone, of course :roll: ). Her only complaint was that her tutor group didn't get to do Food Tech. on the Transition Day. Apparently the school caterers are pretty good as well - and no, DD is not a fat child; like her parents and siblings, she just has what we in our household still refer to as a healthy appetite.

The one girl whom DD already knows from outside school attends one of the main feeder schools, and will be in the same tutor group, which is nice. DD also made friends on Transition Day with a couple of children who like her were the only ones there from their respective primary schools on our own side of town.

With any luck, it will all work out fine (even the bus thing :roll:). I suppose sometimes the things thrust upon rather than chosen by us turn out to be for the best.
panichead

Post by panichead »

What a great post toadmum! I am totally biased of course because I work at Cecil (probably all the info I should give)! We are a lovely bunch and I'm sure your dc will be just fine!

The ice-creams always go down a storm !!