Swimming caps

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Swimming caps

Post by mystery »

Any tips please on swimming caps that are easy for a child to get on and off for themselves - biggish head and a pony tail, high-friction hair!!
Amber

Re: Swimming caps

Post by Amber »

I do lots of swimming and wear a cap (think it's silicone), but easy to get on they are not. However, my kids had to wear them for school lessons and seemed to cope OK once they were shown how. Lots of people suggest putting talcum powder in them but I reckon that just makes you look as if you are grey or have dandruff. My tip is to wet your hair and the cap first. Of course, this doesn't result in keeping the hair dry, but I always wash mine post-swim anyway - it just protects it from the chemicals in the water. You need to bend the head over and look at your feet, put the cap on from the back and sort of stuff the extra hair in. Is this making any kind of sense at all?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that makes perfect sense, I'm just not sure if my DD will manage it on her own. Are there any easier types do you think, or is Lycra a good deal easier than those thick rubbery ones with flowers on I used to have to wear?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Just looking at Zoggs Spandex - as they as easy to get on and off as claimed?
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Yes that makes perfect sense, I'm just not sure if my DD will manage it on her own. Are there any easier types do you think, or is Lycra a good deal easier than those thick rubbery ones with flowers on I used to have to wear?
Well, no, it's a lot harder practically speaking. However, I am not sure your daughter is going to want to wear something which only the more, er, elderly ladies tend to use these days. Some even wear shower caps - they are nice and easy I suppose, but those who wear them tend not to be doing anything more energetic than sort of bobbing about.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Just looking at Zoggs Spandex - as they as easy to get on and off as claimed?
Shouldn't think so. :D How old is DD? I bet you can teach her to do it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Kind of you to say so - she's more likely just to throw the cap across the room after one defeat though. :oops:

I've just ordered a polyester one and a spandex one ....... they claim to be easy, but like you I don't believe it. Trouble is they are probably going to arrive on the day the school swim lessons start so I'll be at home with the postman while she's at school without the cap.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD's school have a uniform swim cap (house colours). It's one of those stretchy ones. They do all get the hang of it
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which sort of stretchy one? Are some non-stretch? :shock: - imagines daughter trying to compress her head into a wooden bowl.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

My son has a fabric speedo one. Not as much stress but very easy to get on.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now