Skinners' appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
janeya

Skinners' appeal

Post by janeya »

Hi,

We are trying to decide whether or not to go ahead with our appeal next week. We have found out that there is a record number of over 75 appeals being heard, therefore our chances are so small i'm not sure the nerves/stress etc are worth it!
From what I have heard from previous years, your sons position on the waiting list seems to have quite an effect on whether or not your sons appeal succeeds. Most upheld appeals have been for children who were only a couple of points away from the cut off.
Unless this is just a coincidence, this must mean that the panel are aware of the score and waiting list position of every child and this is very much taken into account. We are quite far down on the list (over 20th) which is why i'm thinking we don't stand a good chance. :(
Can anyone shed any light on this??

Etienne

Re: Skinners' appeal

Post by Etienne »

your sons position on the waiting list seems to have quite an effect on whether or not your sons appeal succeeds
It would be unlawful for panel members to take account of where someone is on the waiting list, so it would be a matter for concern if they were in receipt of this information!

There's no reason why the panel shouldn't know the score, but only if it is in the case papers sent to all parties. (Parents and panel members must be given exactly the same information, or there would be grounds for a complaint.)

If information about the score is made available, then statistically it's probably correct that you stand a better chance with a score close to what was required. However, in theory there's no reason why lower scores can't succeed provided the case is strong enough.

75 appeals is a huge number, though!
Etienne
WillowTheWisp

Post by WillowTheWisp »

The panel would not know the waiting list positions, and as Etienne has said the information they have is an exact copy of your own which includes the case for the school and your own. 75 appeals is massive but I would want to go ahead if it were me. After all, how would you feel if the school announced they could cope with a whole extra class this year because of demand but you hadn't gone through with it so missed your chance??? (I doubt this will happen but it wouldn't be the first time a school has had to take in an extra form of entry by an appeal panel!) If you don't try you won't get a place, if you do DS just might be one of the lucky few :wink:
laurash

Post by laurash »

All the appeals which won last year were two marks off the lowest entry offered in the ' normal' round.
PianoPiano

Post by PianoPiano »

It depends from year to year. In my DS's year they took a child who scored less than 400, and several who were 6 points below the intial cutoff.

If it were me, I think I would have to go ahead, purely because of the "what if" factor. If you've got this far, what have you got to lose, whereas you have everything to gain if you are successful.
janeya

Post by janeya »

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies. I know that there is the 'what if' factor, and I have already given a lot of time to our appeal, but feel that if the waiting list is taken into account, then the final decision is completely out of our hands at this point. It just seems strange that the Judd and Skinners' upheld appeals are always so close to the initial cut off, if the panel are at no point aware of the childrens scores, unless parents near the top of the waiting lists use this to support their appeal?
WillowTheWisp

Post by WillowTheWisp »

Test scores are produced as evidence by the Admissions Authority, which is why the places offered will be those with higher ability and near to the offered scores. Nothing to do with waiting list I promise :D
MarbleRun

Post by MarbleRun »

Of course, as the position on the waiting list depends on the scores, and they know the scores, they might be able to work it out! :)
Makes a bit of a mockery of it really doesn't it - so for TWG perhaps we should accidentally tell them how far away we live, but definitely not where we are on the waiting list cos that's not allowed. :lol:
WillowTheWisp

Post by WillowTheWisp »

The panel also know the address of the child.... So you wouldn't need to 'slip' that in LOL
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

MarbleRun wrote:Of course, as the position on the waiting list depends on the scores, and they know the scores, they might be able to work it out! :)
I really can't see any panel doing that! The Code expressly prohibits them from taking into account anyone's position on the waiting list - they would be acting unlawfully if they did.
janeya wrote:....... unless parents near the top of the waiting lists use this to support their appeal?
That's possible - nothing to stop parents mentioning the score at a Skinners' appeal if they wish (but the panel could never be sure whether those remaining silent on this point had low or high scores!).
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now