In year appeal.. Any advice please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MoJo

In year appeal.. Any advice please

Post by MoJo »

My child is in year 7 and doing really well . He failed his 11plus and also his appeal. He was not aware we appealed though. He has reached high targets all year and I want to go back and apply for an in year move to grammar. I am aware he won't need to set the test because he has done so already . I believe I need to apply through the council. But I want to be very careful how I play this game.... Part of the reason is that he was very upset that he did not pass. He is very quiet and all his close group of friends did. He has gone to a comp and in all the top sets, and on target for 6a Maths, 6c English, 6b science this year (is anyone please able to give me a guide if this is on target for y7 grammar please). But he is very very tearful lately that he has no friends. So part of my reason for considering a move is this. He has been unwell lately and I believ it's nerves. IF I appeal/ apply again, do I need to keep his emotions out of it and keep it purely academic ? I just think 4 more years at a school he is not happy in is a horrible option. He is a gentle child and I know he struggles to cope with the rowdiness of the school, and the general pushing about. It is a good school though! Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you, it is still only a consideration at the moment.
anotherdad

Re: In year appeal.. Any advice please

Post by anotherdad »

Whereabouts are you based? In Bucks, the late transfer process for current year 7s has passed, and transfer is achieved through 12+ or 13+ tests. A child would need SATs 5s in English and Maths at the end of year 6 to qualify to sit the test. Don't know about arrangements in other counties though.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I really feel for you and your DS Mojo.
Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, I'm sure. It may help if you could give a little more information eg Could you tell us what area you are in please? Perhaps it has a 12+? Do you mean for entry in Year 8?
It's a positive that you feel it is a 'good school'. If he is working well and getting the opportunity to thrive it might be worth seeing if whatver is making him unhappy can be resolved or has he always been unhappy there? Has he never had any friends there? Have you tried speaking to your DS to find out if anything specific has happened to upset him? Have you approached his form teacher of Head of Year? Does he have end of year exams coming up? Does he still keep in touch with his old friends? There's a lot to think about, isn't there? Ireally hope that things improve for your DS soon, whatever path you decide to take.

Ed: sorry, cross posted anotherdad!
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Hi, it's Warwickshire. There is no 12plus. The council website has forms for children wanting to move mid year for any reason, house moves etc. there is a grammar form too, whe it says if they have sat the exam before they do not sit again, it is based on new evidence. I really have no idea why he did not pass,it was a shock. The appeal failed I guess due to his score and others scores who did not get in due to where they live. I just feel his grades are high enough to be comfortable in grammar so I have nothing to lose in applying. It is a good school, but not meeting his needs emotionally. Also there is not a great challenge because he is in top groups already. But on the other hand I am aware he could go into a grammar and be in bottom groups, so it could be out of the frying pan into the fire (does anyone think this likely) . But he really has made no great friendships, and I feel that I have given him 'time' to settle. So if I apply I think it should be though academic only? I don't think it will be based on unhappiness ?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you should give any appeal panel the full story!

a) Why you've decided to appeal.

b) academic evidence (the levels look perfectly acceptable to me).
The more evidence of high ability, the better!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(intended for 11+, but much of this would still be relevant at 12+)

c) specific reasons for wanting a place at the school you're appealing for.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let us know if you have any further questions, and we'll do our best to help.
Etienne
Amber

Post by Amber »

Have you spoken to the grammar school? Children leave grammar schools every year, and places become available. I have experience of this both directly and through friends. Email the school you want him to go to; ask them what the procedures are for applying for an in-year place. Round here the schools set their own tests based on Maths, English and Science as they recognise that VR is a pretty blunt instrument and they would rather choose what they are getting in terms of being able to keep up with what is already going on in school. I also know of a child who didn't have to sit a test - a report was taken from the existing school and a place offered without further ado. You might not even have to appeal if your son does well in the tests! My advice is - nothing ventured, nothing gained, and you might be surprised how easy it is.
Last edited by Amber on Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good luck with it - definitely sounds worth a bash for lots of different reasons.

Etienne will clarify, but if you are hoping to get in via appeal (rather than waiting list) wouldn't you have to appeal for year 8 rather than year 7 - maybe that is what you are intending. I thought the law was that you could appeal for any school once for each year group, IYSWIM, so once for year 7, once for year 8 etc etc. This is your right irrespective of their "normal" entry processes isn't it? So an Ed Psych report if it was very positive might be a good piece of evidence for you alongside the current school's clearly very favourable assessment of your son, and his current work etc.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Hi Mojo

My own son found it extremely difficult to settle into the local comp, again it isn't a 'bad' school just a typical one I think. He suffered some bullying issues and was often tearful and reluctant to go to school. Thankfully, this has all resolved now and he is in year 10 and on target for A/A* GCSE's. Anyway, what I wanted to say was to contact the school, either pastoral staff or HOY, and tell them that your son is still unsettled. They will have experience of this but cannot do anything to resolve this unless you tell them, and keep on telling them. Ask for regular discussions between now and the end of term as it is in your son's best interests to try and sort this before the new academic year, regardless of the school he will be attending. Good luck.
Clarabelle