Is there such a resource as this...

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Is there such a resource as this...

Post by Manana »

When I taught KS2, we had a CD called Testbase which had previous exam papers and you could search for questions to do more practice in by topic-eg area/perimeter etc Is there such a thing now-either bought/online where you can pick question types to practise for the 11+?

DS struggles with calculating angles/percentags in pie charts, certain averages questions (eg Tim scored an average of 16 in 5 mental maths tests, and got a total of 60 in the first four of them-what did he get in the 5th) and algebra. I could go through all of the papers I have picking out those particular questions which is fine-but then he'll have seen the questions all before when he does that paper. I haven't found any suitably 'tricky' questions anywhere else.

Can anyone point me in the direction of anything like this? What do you do-just write your own questions if they struggle on an area?!
yoyo123

Re: Is there such a resource as this...

Post by yoyo123 »

have you looked at the tutors CD/downloads on this site? CD1 has tests arranged by topics

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Maths-Software/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manana

Post by Manana »

Oh, they look good; have you tried them? I wonder if there's a difference between volume 1 and 2 or if it's just more of the same?

What I'd like is questions I can print off and give to him rather than questions he solves on the computer as a lot of the maths involves some sort of pen/paper calculation which can be a bit fiddly to do whilst you're looking at the question on a computer screen-do you think that's possible with The Tutors maths downloads?

Thank you for the reply :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you can;t print them off, but I have used them and found them useful. CD1 organises it by type of question and CD2 as mixed tests, so it sounds like CD1 would be best for you. Haven;t come across anything quite like testbase, but I do use google a lot to find work for 1:1 and small groups, it's surprising what is out there. As with anything it is important to check it over. Once had what seemed like a really good set of work on venn diagrams which I quickly downloaded and then realised that the author used factor when she meant multiple throughout :roll:
morgana

Post by morgana »

Hi Yoyo,

Hope you don't mind me asking on this topic. Is there any way the downloaded content can be switched from one laptop to another. We bought both maths 1 & 2 for DD1 who didn't use them much, however, the netbook we downloaded them on is on it's way out. (very slow & crashes a lot). Ideally I would like to use this software for DD2. Any idea how I may be able to solve this. I'm now kicking myself I didn't buy the CDs instead.

Thank you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll pass your message on to the programmer morgana
penguin

Post by penguin »

I'm not sure it's exactly the same material - but the tutors also have 11+ Maths Volume 1 and 2 available as apps on iphone/ipad and also VR papers and vocab builder
programmer

Post by programmer »

Hi Morgana,

Thank you for buying the products from this site. Please contact with your order number. Also even if you have purchased the CD you still will have to go through the same process. So in fact, buying downloads saves you money and is recommended. Thank you.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Hi Programmer,

Can you download by topic too? The beginning of this thread was a good request, searching for ways to improve specific topics, I would like to be able to do this for maths AND VR if possible. Can tutors provide this?

I also heard that CDs were not for MAC use - hence I have downloaded only so far as we are a Mac only household.

I have tried the Ipad apps for VR and although good, we are working mostly with pen and paper so I prefer hard/printable copies of everything.

Thanks toolate
Manana

Post by Manana »

toolate wrote:Hi Programmer,

Can you download by topic too? The beginning of this thread was a good request, searching for ways to improve specific topics, I would like to be able to do this for maths AND VR if possible. Can tutors provide this?

I also heard that CDs were not for MAC use - hence I have downloaded only so far as we are a Mac only household.

I have tried the Ipad apps for VR and although good, we are working mostly with pen and paper so I prefer hard/printable copies of everything.

Thanks toolate
Hear hear! I would really like to be able to print out questions on a certain subject rather than working through the questions online as well as this is more like the actual papers they will be sitting. Is this at all possible, it would be so useful!?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now