This is the week!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Esex mum

This is the week!

Post by Esex mum »

I hope you are all as excited as we are in our household. hopefully, we will have a letter by the end of the week, if not, early next week.

Good luck to all!

Keep posting, we will all (hopefully) be here to support and advice after the results are out.

:wink:
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

We are excited and nervous in our house.

We should get our letter on Wednesday as Lancs LEA says in the booklet "school places to have been given out to all parents on 1st March 2005", so I guess they will be sending them out 1st class tomorrow :?

Yes Essex Mum I agree that we should all come in and post our outcomes good or bad and be there to support our fellow parents in this close knit community that we've made :wink:

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

I agree. We should all support each other although I am now extremely worried as the "pass mark" that children need to get seems to be getting higher and higher. When my son sat it, you stood a chance of a grammar place in Essex if you scored 75% in the VR - now it seems you have to get at least 90% as well as scoring high on the other two papers! With the VR in Essex counting for 50% of the marks, I would have thought that a high score on that would move you up the rankings. Any thoughts Essex Mum?
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

I don't know how true it is, but I was told low 90's were required in all 3 tests last year. The marks to get into the Chelmsford schools have always been extremely high. When my daughter took it a few years ago I believe high 80's were required in English and Maths but still 90's in VR. As demand for the school gets greater and people are willing to travel so far, I can only see the required marks getting higher. Unless, of course the Education Authority comes to it's senses and puts some sort of restriction on people applying from all of the country.

Post by Guest »

Essex mum wrote:I don't know how true it is, but I was told low 90's were required in all 3 tests last year. The marks to get into the Chelmsford schools have always been extremely high. When my daughter took it a few years ago I believe high 80's were required in English and Maths but still 90's in VR. As demand for the school gets greater and people are willing to travel so far, I can only see the required marks getting higher. Unless, of course the Education Authority comes to it's senses and puts some sort of restriction on people applying from all of the country.
Thanks. I have just quickly called the CSSE. Basically if you score over 90% in the VR and in the 80s for the maths you stand a very good chance of CCHSG. Saying that, they also said that it depends on the year and how the children perform. It is a lottery and also dependent on how your child coped on that high pressure day. I am sure some of the brightest children don't get in because they didn't cope very well with the day which is a great shame. You are right about lots applying from all over. The CSSE said they have a lot of children from London applying for CCHSG. They actually pass the scores to the LEA before Christmas so our children's fate has been decided quite a while ago! Roll on Thursday when we should receive our letter. Thanks for your comments.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Good luck "Guest".

I'm glad you got the information from the CSSE. I have send before on this forum that the scores are as above and people have said they are not.
CCHSG is one of the hardest schools in the country to get into, due to the numbers that travel in from London each day. It really is very unfair for the families in Essex, that are already limited to senior schools they can apply to.

Post by Guest »

Essex mum wrote:Good luck "Guest".

I'm glad you got the information from the CSSE. I have send before on this forum that the scores are as above and people have said they are not.
CCHSG is one of the hardest schools in the country to get into, due to the numbers that travel in from London each day. It really is very unfair for the families in Essex, that are already limited to senior schools they can apply to.

Totally agree. In Southend they take in the catchment area. I don't even mind them just saying open to "Essex" but leaving it open to the whole country is tough on our children. I certainly wouldn't want to send me child into London so would not put that down (not sure I would be able to anyway). Deep down I don't think my daughter has performed well enough for CCHSG, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for one of the grammars.
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

Essex mum wrote:Good luck "Guest".

Essex mum and guest. You seem a bit hard on the people applying for Essex grammers from London and elsewhere. Spare a thought for those of us who are not lucky enough to have grammers on our doorstep. For example, in Hertfordshire there are no selective grammers left. In Essex you still have 8 grammers which is luxurious in comparison to Herts. As we live on the Herts side of the border we have no choice but to apply to Essex grammers. This is not an easy option as we may have to move house etc if we are successful. We would much prefer to apply to a local grammer but there aren't any and our local school, which we put down as our first choice, is very heavily over subscribed. None of the other local schools provide the academic education we want and as we can't afford private we have to look towards Essex. I agree the situation for all of us is crazy but if you are looking for someone to blame, then blame previous politicians for taking advantage of the grammers themselves, then kicking the ladder away from the rest of us by closing most of them down.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Oh yes it's definately the fault of the government/local education anuthority. I feel very sorry for you if you are having to move, but that's my point. You will be living in Essex then and that's what I mean. At least you are not expecting your child to travel by train or bus each day for up to 2 hrs each way.

Although we do have eight grammers in Essex, I think it's important to remember that Essex is a very large County, and we only have one girls grammer and one boys grammer near us. I would not consider the Southend side of the county as it is so far away and we live on the other side of the county.

I don't think generally the problem is with too many people coming in from Herts. As one guest wrote it is with the London applications. The vast majority of children attending the schools come form London and London does have grammer schools. This is something the CSSE are aware of.

Post by Guest »

Essex mum wrote:Oh yes it's definately the fault of the government/local education anuthority. I feel very sorry for you if you are having to move, but that's my point. You will be living in Essex then and that's what I mean. At least you are not expecting your child to travel by train or bus each day for up to 2 hrs each way.

Although we do have eight grammers in Essex, I think it's important to remember that Essex is a very large County, and we only have one girls grammer and one boys grammer near us. I would not consider the Southend side of the county as it is so far away and we live on the other side of the county.

I don't think generally the problem is with too many people coming in from Herts. As one guest wrote it is with the London applications. The vast majority of children attending the schools come form London and London does have grammer schools. This is something the CSSE are aware of.

Once again I agree with Essex Mum. I do have a problem with the children coming from London (be interesting to know how many are from the private sector bearing in mind the cost of the private schools in London). I suspect most Essex parents would not send their children into London and as I said before, I am not sure we would be alllowed to apply there anyway. I also suspect that the numbers applying are going to increase each year as parents are more aware of opportunities for their children in the grammar system. Thank goodness this is my last child going into secondary education!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now