Article in The Independent

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Article in The Independent

Post by ourmaminhavana »

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/le ... 71252.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So what do we think?....
pheasantchick

Re: Article in The Independent

Post by pheasantchick »

An interesting article which doesn't really say much apart from that grammar schools helped underprivileged pupils in the past improve their situation and therefore improved social mobility. Therefore, as social mobility isn't happening at the moment. More g-schools schools be opened to redress the balance.

Alternatively, you could support these kids in existing schools more ( comprehensive?), or improve the standard of schools everywhere!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

pheasantchick wrote: Alternatively, you could support these kids in existing schools more ( comprehensive?), or improve the standard of schools everywhere!
Now that would be innovative :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Just realised my post sounded anti-GS - I'm not but the article seems to suggest its the answer to the social mobility, and that all comprehensives/academy schools are failing their pupils. I'm sure that this is not the case.
Looking for help

The thing is - I don't think social mobility is the holy grail - I think a good education for every child (who matters - I think the every child matters thing has been thrown out with the bathwater :( ) is the thing that everybody happily forgets in their strive to get a better education than the next person, sadly
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I don't think your post sounded anti GS. I think you make a very good point. This is exactly what the Government should be doing.
Looking for help

Me neither - and I'm not particularly against GS in themselves, I've had 3 at one. I think though there is more to educating our children than just having grammars for the very bright , it's about educating everyone, and these articles often stir up problems and issues that aren't really worth stirring, to be honest. Social mobility sounds like something from a Dickens novel - surely everbody nowadays has a chance to do well whatever their background ?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

LFH - I agree with you. Perhaps we should invent a new moto?

A good education for all

Educate every child
Looking for help

Now wouldn't that be nice :lol:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Lfh - I was replying to your first post, but I also agree with your second.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now