Space requirement per child in school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Space requirement per child in school

Post by mystery »

Does anyone know please if a school has a document tucked away somewhere which says what the maximum number of children is that can be fitted in each classroom?

I'm not meaning class size legislation of 30 max at KS1.

Each classroom at our school is different, and not large - one is really very small. Some big classes are being planned. I can't get an answer as to whether the children will physically fit in or not. Short of measuring them up I was wondering if each school has an agreed max number of children that each specific classroom can be used for?
ourmaminhavana

Re: Space requirement per child in school

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes, I'm sure that somewhere there's a sort of square metres of classroom legally required per child (irrespective of size of child :lol: )doc that gets pulled out at appeals. Why do you ask, Mystery?!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, it is called the Net Capacity Assessment and you can request a copy under the Freedom of Information Act.
Hera

Post by Hera »

That was definately an arguement used against me at appeal. It must be flexible though as some classes had more that 30, but they couldn't possibly increase the classes I wanted to 31! Needless to say I didn't win.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sally Anne, can I request it from the LA rather than the school for a VA school? It's not for an appeal. It's because I want to see if my children's classes will fit in the school in the future - they are increasing massively and I don't ever get an answer to my questions. Is it done room by room, or just the school as a whole?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I think you should be able to get a copy via the LA because it will be sent to them for Elf & Safety purposes.

It is indeed done room by room, right down to the smallest broom cupboard! Every square metre of the school's premises is included in it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a link in C14 to the government publication that explains net capacity.

You should be able to obtain a copy of the school's net capacity assessment from the LA.

(The situation for academies is different.)
Etienne
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Out of interest, does this apply to state schools only? My DC's indie primary packs them in fairly tight!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

State schools, except for academies.
Etienne
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Thanks, I thought so. Otherwise the poor little sardines would have to have a bit more stretching room.