who sees information from primary school?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Banksy

who sees information from primary school?

Post by Banksy »

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is appealing very soon for her son (GS in Gloucester). She has received no information from her son's primary school who now say they have filled out a form and sent it directly to the clerk of appeals. Will my friend get to see this letter prior to the appeal hearing as she has no idea of the content?

I have now given her the advice from this site regarding what you are entitled to (CAT scores etc) but does anyone know what this form is and will a copy be sent to her?

Thank you
Etienne

Re: who sees information from primary school?

Post by Etienne »

All parties at an appeal must be given the same paperwork (usually a week or so before the hearing).

If your friend were not to be given a copy of this form, it would be a breach of the mandatory provisions of the Code of Practice.
Etienne
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Banksy
I too am appealing to a Glos GS - hearing within 7 days of now (eek!)- and I have not received a copy of anything submitted to the panel by our primary.

The only things that came with the paperwork we received from the clerk (apart from details of time/location of the hearing) was copies of DS' raw scores in the tests and a short (general) statement from the GS covering their reasons for not offering a place
capers123

Post by capers123 »

totally_gutted wrote:I too am appealing to a Glos GS - hearing within 7 days of now (eek!)- and I have not received a copy of anything submitted to the panel by our primary.
It may well be that your primary have not sent anything in to the panel. I'd say that 1/3rd of Glos primaries send in some statistics to the panel (some or maybe all of: predicted SAT scores, Y5 CAT scores, Reading Age - not all schools do CATs). Some send a nice letter of 'support'. 1/3rd send nothing. We do not put any weight on lack of information from the primary it could be a head who does not support grammars or they may have a policy of not favouring any appeals (support one & you have to support them all no matter how worthy). Don't panic!

You could 'phone the clerk and ask if they've received anything, just to double check and put your mind at rest. If the worst comes to the worst (very unlikely), and you've not received something submitted, you can ask for an adjournment so you can go out & consider that information before continuing the appeal.

Good luck.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now