Independent school for boys - commutable from Bromley

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BeckMum

Independent school for boys - commutable from Bromley

Post by BeckMum »

Hello all,

Can you recommend good academic independent (Yr 7 and above) schools for boys (or mixed) that is commutable from Bromley / Beckenham. I have heard of coaches for many of the schools, so travel time of around 1 hour should be ok.

Thanks
cpbp

Re: Independent school for boys - commutable from Bromley

Post by cpbp »

Hi,

Just the ones I can readily think of:
Eltham College;
Colfes;
St Dunstans;
and then the Dulwich Schools.

Don't know much about Bishop Challener in Bromley or Trinity or Whitgift.

Best of luck!
cpbp
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My brother went to CLSB from Kent House station. Journey time of 40 minutes which was about average for the school then.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

A number of boys from our school (in Bromley) go on to Trinity which has a very good reputation (a bus ride away). I know of others who have gone to Eltham College and a few who travel to Dulwich College - there's a school coach I think. All are great schools :D
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

Thank you very much cpbp , aliportico and bondgirl , that was really helpful.

I have collated the list as below....hmm, now for the next question. How would you order them in regards to the academic achievements ?

Eltham College
Colfes
St Dunstans
Dulwich Schools
CLSB
Trinity
Whitgift
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

I think you really have to visit the schools and get a feel for them and which one would suit your DS. Academically, I'm sure a bright boy would do well at any of them. We looked at Eltham College last year and really liked it. The open day for Trinity clashed with St Olave's last year so we'll go and look this year but a number of people speak very highly of it.
estelle

Post by estelle »

We don't live in your area but my DS goes to Whitgift. We turned down places at Dulwich & Alleyns. It is the most fantastic school-the opportunities are amazing whatever your strengths, academic, sporting or musical & the teachers are just great. My DS settled in quickly from a small state primary, has made lovely friends & couldn't be happier.
sonu

Post by sonu »

Can vouch for Eltham. Son's been there since Sept 2011 and really enjoys it there. Academically they are challanging and strong with the Maths.

They really help in bringing confidence out of the boys and the school has very close ties with the Parents.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Sevenoaks...? Mixed, IB only, easily commutable from Bromley/ Beckenham...usually fairly high up the league-tables, whichever you look at...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now