My daughters question - what exam percentage does she need?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loveyouradvice

My daughters question - what exam percentage does she need?

Post by loveyouradvice »

She asked me this question this morning and I realised I have no idea.....

We're looking at schools like Latymer Upper, Highgate, Habs.... so academic but not St Pauls level.....

What sort of percentage should she be aiming for in her maths and literacy papers? And in V and NV???

I'd guessed around 90% across the board but realise I may be way off here.... perhaps its 75% in the first ones and 90% in V & NV??????

Many thanks
year to go

Re: My daughters question - what exam percentage does she ne

Post by year to go »

My dd is going to Habs in Sep and they don't tell you your percentage marks , but in practice papers she was consistently getting 95+ in VR and NVR and 85-95 in maths and English - depending on the papers.The hardest papers for her were the Habs boys and Merchant Taylor's - which I would leave near to end of your preparation.
Good luck with your preparation
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

I don't think indies disclose the test results.

You and your dd have a lot of time to prepare for the tests. While it is important not to lose focus, it is also important not to get be overburdened with anxiety.

Just to give you an indicator - my DD used to get about 80% in sample test papers initially, but improved to about 95% towards the end. She got through all tests she appeared. So, I guess that is a good enough benchmark.

All the best to you and your dd!
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

thanks for these - really useful
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What you get at home will not reflect the mark you will get under exam conditions. I suggest you sign up for some mocks and consider registering for some state school exams to get used to working under exam conditions. DG