Advice needed re appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Suresh

Advice needed re appeal

Post by Suresh »

Hi Etienne,

I would like to PM with some issues but am not able to. I would like your help with some points on my appeal.

Suresh
capers123

Re: Any chance?

Post by capers123 »

Suresh wrote:Hi Etienne,

I would like to PM with some issues but am not able to. I would like your help with some points on my appeal.

Suresh
The way to contact Etienne & the other forum admins is via the Admin email Drop Box - see the FAQ's for this forum for details. It is confidential, so others currently involved in appeals (such as I as a panel member, or other parents who may also be appealing) can't see it.
Capers
Sally-Anne

Re: Advice needed re appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Suresh

I suggest that you use the Appeals Box facility here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to communicate any really confidential issues to us.

Any more general questions can be answered here on the forum.

Sally-Anne
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Hi,

I have been reading all the postings here, I am concerned about few issues with the way the school is handling the appeal process.

1. It is an academy and it runs its own appeals. It has only 5 to 6 appeals but they always tend to have the appeals date in mid June thereby leaving no scope to the movement in waiting lists afterwards.
2. As this school makes a very good case of absolutely full and we cannot cope with an extra child, only one appeal has been won in the last 10 -15 years. ( 1 out of last 150+ heard)
3. The Clerk operates from c/o the School process, difficult to contact and have to go through the school and have to tell the school why and what we want to reach the clerk, and they answer oh Mr------------, kind of very put off.

How do i handle these issues, is this common or am i thinking too much. Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Suresh wrote:1. It is an academy and it runs its own appeals. It has only 5 to 6 appeals but they always tend to have the appeals date in mid June thereby leaving no scope to the movement in waiting lists afterwards.
They can hold appeals when they like - so long as they are wihin the deadlines:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. As this school makes a very good case of absolutely full and we cannot cope with an extra child, only one appeal has been won in the last 10 -15 years. ( 1 out of last 150+ heard)
It's not a very encouraging statistic, is it? Unfortunately there's not much anyone can do about it, unless it can be shown there's some significant procedural error.
3. The Clerk operates from c/o the School process, difficult to contact and have to go through the school and have to tell the school why and what we want to reach the clerk, and they answer oh Mr------------, kind of very put off.
It depends whether they have a satisfactory reason for managing things this way. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm a bit doubtful that they should be asking you to go into detail about the purpose of your call, and I'd be inclined to tell them "This is a private matter to do with my appeal, and according to the Code of Practice the clerk must be independent of the school!" - but it's probably not worth complaining about this on its own.

Let's see if you have any other issues. If so, we'll be happy to advise.
Etienne
Suresh

Advice Please- Is this allowed

Post by Suresh »

Hi,

I have put in my papers for an appeal which is scheduled for 13 June 2012.

According to the School Prospectus which we were given last year the admission arrangements in over subscription clause read as

"In the case of over subscription places will be offered to the top **** boys scoring highest preference in the selection tests who named ABCD as a preferred school and for whom ABCD is the highest preference school on their application form for which they have qualified."

This has also been confirmed by the school in their response for my appeal which was sent to me by the appeals clerk about 3 weeks ago. Today i get a letter from the schools through the clerk that there has been a mistake in the above and should be read as

"In the case of over subscription places will be offered to the top **** boys scoring highest preference in the selection tests who named ABCD as a preferred school and who qualify to be offered a place under the co-ordinated admission arrangements."

When i checked the admission arrangements today , it has been changed now. ( when it has been changed, i do not know). Part of my appeal is based on the first sentence. Can you please clarify me the following.

1. Do you see/read any difference in the two passages.
2. Can they amend their appeal at this stage. (Got the letter today dated 30/05/12 and appeal being on 13/06/12) that is literally 5 working days before.

Please advise. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks one and all.
Etienne

Re: Advice Please- Is this allowed

Post by Etienne »

Hi Suresh
"In the case of over subscription places will be offered to the top **** boys scoring highest preference in the selection tests who named ABCD as a preferred school
I don't understand "scoring highest preference" - perhaps they mean "scoring highest"?
and for whom ABCD is the highest preference school on their application form for which they have qualified."
Well, you can only get one offer under the co-ordinated scheme, and that will automatically be the highest ranked school for which your child is eligible.

What they cannot do is give extra priority to children whose parents rank preferred schools in a particular order (including ‘first preference first’ arrangements, which are unlawful).

The academy doesn't know where they were placed on your CAF, and it's the LA that offers the highest ranked school for which you are eligible, so in theory the system ought to work.
"In the case of over subscription places will be offered to the top **** boys scoring highest preference in the selection tests who named ABCD as a preferred school and who qualify to be offered a place under the co-ordinated admission arrangements."

1. Do you see/read any difference in the two passages.
I don't think the original wording meant extra priority for first or highest preference, but the revised wording with its reference to the co-ordinated scheme is probably safer and less likely to be misunderstood.
2. Can they amend their appeal at this stage. (Got the letter today dated 30/05/12 and appeal being on 13/06/12) that is literally 5 working days before.
Yes, I think they could make brief corrections.
When i checked the admission arrangements today , it has been changed now. ( when it has been changed, i do not know).
The LA ought also to have published the academy's admission arrangements - it might be interesting to see if the LA version has changed!
Etienne
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Thanks Etienne forthe reply. Sorry for the typo , it should read as

"In the case of over subscription places will be offered to the top **** boys scoring highest in the selection tests who named ABCD as a preferred school and for whom ABCD is the highest preference school on their application form for which they have qualified."

AND BEEN CHANGED TO

"In the case of over subscription places will be offered to the top **** boys scoring highest in the selection tests who named ABCD as a preferred school and who qualify to be offered a place under the co-ordinated admission arrangements."

AND in the Council also it has been changed.(when, i do not know)
ahap

Post by ahap »

Good Luck for the appeal tomorrow Suresh.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Hi Everyone,

Just got the letter, Won the appeal against Colchester Royal Grammar School. Cant describe how relieved and happy i am. :D :D :D :D :D :D Will post my experience later. Thank you Etienne once again for the help.
Proud to win the second ever appeal won in CRGS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now