Kent test September 2013 takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MadHatter

Kent test September 2013 takers

Post by MadHatter »

I can't be the only parent lurking on here panicking already about the 2013 Kent test…I just wondered what others like me and my DS are doing in the way of preparation? We have started to work through some Bond short papers to get an idea of level – and identified LOTS of gaps in maths - and vocab development and English in general seem a bit of an uphill struggle - not to mention the histrionics before we even sit down to work. This is going to be such a long road I am looking forward to sharing it with the parents of other 2013 takers. Is anyone out there?!
U400JB9

Re: Kent test September 2013 takers

Post by U400JB9 »

They`re all in denial :shock:
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi; I have a 2012 taker and a 2014 taker, so will be relaxing in 2013 :lol: Looks like you are ahead of the game for 2013.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I think you are doing th right thing in terms of identifying what gaps exist in current knowledge and hopefully because of the time you have left, the study won't be as intensive for your DC.

I have a 2012 and a 2014 taker as well, both DDs
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

don;t panic too much about the gaps in maths, there is still another year at school before th 2013 test. concentrate on building up speed in mental maths and especially on tables.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I have a 2012 taker....and its my last :D .

But I do agree with yoyo, DD2 had several gaps in her maths when we began this process, she`s just breezed her SATS, and school have filled the gaps not us. if you have a good Primary you won`t need to fill the gaps, just build the confidence.....
MMMum

Post by MMMum »

I have a 2013 taker!
We are not doing much yet by way of preparation. At this stage I just want to get him used to the idea of doing the test, but am not making too big a deal of it. We have looked online at a few practice papers and tried a few questions. I'm pretty confident about his Maths, feel that with practice the VR should be ok (I can help him with those), have avoided NVR entirely (as I can't do those myself!)
There's still a long way to go (another whole year at school) and I think that, with my son at least, there would be a real danger of boring him to death with it all and he'll switch off just when he should be switching on!
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Thanks all for your responses and encouragement. Wishing your DCs luck for this September Penguin, U400JB9 and anotherworriedmum - I can imagine the pressure is building! We have come from out of county (actually out of country) and this is all new for us so I'm glad I have found this forum in good time! Hi MMMum, good to find someone who will be travelling this journey at the same time as us - and hopefully sharing elation at the end of it. I know what you mean about not burning your DS out, very wise. I must take note and remember to chill out a bit! I'm with you on the NVR - we had our first peek at them the other day and I was baffled... thankfully DS got it straight away and rattled through them (all correct) but I still didn't get it when he tried to explain them to me. Must be my age...
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

It's TODAY!!! Good luck everyone. Well be thinking of you all today.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Thank you for the good wishes. What will be will be now, I think it's harder for the parents. I have gained my usual stone in a day. So pleased its the last time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now