Oversubscription Appeal - Sally-Anne/ Etienne Please Help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spartacus

Oversubscription Appeal - Sally-Anne/ Etienne Please Help!

Post by spartacus »

Hello There. Great forum. I wonder if you can help?
We have an appeal coming up based both on non qualification and over subscription. On the non qualification side we have good evidence of high academic achievement. To the extent that we also need extenuating circumstances these are based on missing out a section of the paper due to disruption.
In relation to the oversubscription part of the appeal, when balancing our son's case against the prejudice likely to be suffered by the school by admitting more children, can we rely upon the strength of the academic case as well as the reasons for wanting this particular school or can we only rely on the latter?
Thank you. :D
Etienne

Re: Oversubscription Appeal - Sally-Anne/ Etienne Please Hel

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, spartacus! :)

Parents will sometimes argue "My child is extremely bright, hardworking and well-behaved, so there'd hardly be any prejudice at all!" - but I think this approach is unlikely to work. Prejudice is invariably looked at in general terms - not in terms of the degree of prejudice caused by the individual child (apologies if that's not what you have in mind).

In my view, it is quite clear in the Code that it is the parent's reasons for wanting a place at the school that are being balanced against the school's case for prejudice.

Overall ability might just fit if this is the only school around that could meet your son's academic needs and enable him to reach his full potential. If there are other grammar schools that are accessible, though, it's unlikely to be much of an argument for this particular school.

If the school is noted for its strength in a particular subject, and this is something that your son excels at, then that could be a good point to make.
Etienne
spartacus

Re: Oversubscription Appeal - Sally-Anne/ Etienne Please Hel

Post by spartacus »

Etienne, thank you so much for your helpful and speedy reply and at such an unholy hour! You are amazing. Keep up the good work. :D