Savings pot for school trips (Kes)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NewMom

Savings pot for school trips (Kes)

Post by NewMom »

Hello, our son has been given an assisted place and scholarship to cover the fees at the King Edwards School in Birmingham and will be starting in Sep, we are deciding on putting together a small savings pot to cover future costs of trips/activities etc.

The cost of having two smaller children means that we will be giving any relatively expensive non-compulsory trips a miss but hope to take full advantage of cheaper local options as well as those that will required as part of the study curriculum.

If any parents in a similar position can help guide on setting our expectations on costs then it will be greatly appreciated, also does any one have any ideas on any concessions for holders of AP’s/scholarships.

Awaiting reply from school but also hoping to get a perspective from any parents out there.

Thanks
NewMom
moseleymum

Re: Savings pot for school trips (Kes)

Post by moseleymum »

Hi and congratulations on your sons place!

Year 7 is known as Shells in KES. There is a list of trips with costs on the KES website. For Shells, the list is here:
http://kes.interaweb.com/trips-for-shells.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was under the impression AP holders got concessions for compulsory trips.

When your son starts KES, you will find that a LOT of boys are from families in the same boat as you. Apart from the Shell camp, nothing is compulsory. My son didn't put his name down for any overseas trips this year. He wasn't the only one.

I would familiarise yourself with the list of trips and prioritise what's important for you. We weren't bothered by most of the Shell trips (only the camp in a few weeks is compulsory and I think you can get help with costs as I said). There are one or two trips my son has shown a vague interest in further up the school (and even then they are the cheaper ones 8) ) so we are saving now.
ok1

Post by ok1 »

Hi NewMom

….more congratulations on the place!

As far as I am aware concessions for AP holders are applied for any trips that are deemed necessary as part of the subject choices made, that fall during the last 4 years (2 yrs GCSE and 2 years IB).  However unsure if reductions applied are weighted or fixed, but that can be confirmed directly from the school.  The new joining packs will most likely be posted in and around the half term break, that may contain further details.

We have been slowly accumulating a massive arsenal of items that may be needed via a well known auction site, can now safely confirm we have enough pencils to last the full 7 years!

ok1
NewMom

Post by NewMom »

Thanks Moseleymum
Very reassuring to know that there will be others in a similar position, its all very daunting as a lot of kids now seem to own expensive gadgets like iphones/ipads. Just concerned what impact this may have on our son when he goes to the big school but as usual, I’m probably fussing over nothing and I’m sure we are not alone. Thanks for the link - brilliant! very useful to get an idea of some of the costs.

Thanks Ok1
Yes school has confirmed what you wrote and packs due in a few weeks. We also have bulked up on some items, they were meant for his big school - but - most of the stuff has vanished into thin air, so will now delay until we get some more.

Found this site early this year, but so far found tons and tons of good useful info, no doubt will help whilst son no2 is now getting ready for his turn.

Thanks again.
NewMom
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

NewMom wrote:Thanks Moseleymum
Very reassuring to know that there will be others in a similar position, its all very daunting as a lot of kids now seem to own expensive gadgets like iphones/ipads. Just concerned what impact this may have on our son when he goes to the big school but as usual, I’m probably fussing over nothing and I’m sure we are not alone. Thanks for the link - brilliant!

Thanks again.
NewMom
Please don't worry about the materialistic sides of things. Most kids are very normal. We got my son a basic phone at the start of the year, not even a smartphone or anything like that. He thought his would be the worst, and it turned out to be one of the best! Some boys seriously have brick like phones, like I did 10 years ago!

You get one or two rich ones, but as I have said in earlier posts, the wealthiest people I know send their kids to Grammar schools so I am positive there are rich spoilt kids in the free schools. There are enough sensible and down to earth boys around for those rich ones to have little impact on your boy. I'm sure he will figure them out :wink:

For Shells I would do a walking day (its exhausting and cheap!) and see how things go. The trips aren't oversubscribed in Shells as far as I know, and most boys are only doing the camp.

Kinds regards

MM
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

the phone story resonates but in reverse. Our DS started at state school last sept and he managed to get himself an iphone4, Worried it would stand out, I requested he be discreet about this. Needless to say that at the end of his first day at new state school, his phone was quite ordinary in stature compared to the others in the class.

Sorry dont feel the need to mention the school in question for the umpteenth time... :lol: :lol:
NewMom

Post by NewMom »

Thanks Moseleymum, I guess I am worrying over nothing, im sure things will work out ok.

Paramjeet – our sons phone will definitely be one of a kind as we have decided that he will be getting a very special ‘pay as you go phone’, it will be attached to a wall via a metal cord and will be operated using coins. Added bonus is no need to charge it up, or risk losing it.

I will Keep Everything Simple by not mentioning the school. :lol:

NewMom :D :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now