KEGS ... What are our chances.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Zoe22

KEGS ... What are our chances.

Post by Zoe22 »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Lurked a few times.

I have a son in year 4 and we live in Essex but out of the 12.5 mile radius. We'd really love for him to go to KEGS when the time comes and I was just wondering what the chances might be for him.

We've been working through the bond books and apart from English, he's making very good progress. I just don't know what's 'enough' to be able to get in considering the level of competition now.

I have no other kids his age to compare with or to kind of find out what is average or what is very good. Obviously, I think he's very smart but again, don't all mums think their kids are the best.

There's probably no straight answer, maybe my question really should be how can we increase his chances of getting in?

Any comments would be most welcome. Thanks.
Minesatea

Re: KEGS ... What are our chances.

Post by Minesatea »

maybe my question really should be how can we increase his chances of getting in?
Sadly the answer to this is probably to move within the 12.5 mile radius!

Seriously, until next years results come out no one really knows what approximate pass mark will be required for out of area admission but I think it is safe to say it will be pretty high. Kegs has traditionally required the highest pass mark of the boys grammar schools in Essex and whilst the new catchment area may slightly lower the mark required for in area admission most people think out of area will increase significantly as there will be so few places available.

As you are out of area are you considering any of the other grammar schools as well?
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

thanks for your reply.

Well, let's say i haven't really given much thought to other grammer schools. We live in havering and as far as I'm aware, the only gs are the chelmsford and colchester ones. I'm hoping we won't have to go the independent route.

like you said, we'll probably know a bit more after nest year's admissions.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Zoe22 wrote:Well, let's say i haven't really given much thought to other grammer schools. We live in havering and as far as I'm aware, the only gs are the chelmsford and colchester ones. I'm hoping we won't have to go the independent route.
There are also the Westcliff & Southend gs - Westcliff High School for Boys & Southend High School for Boys & also in Southend are St. Thomas More HSB & St. Bernards's HS & Arts College which are both catholic schools with selective places & both of these require their own supplementary information form to be completed. For more info look at the websites for the schools and Consortium. Are you out of area for the Redbridge gs?
Clarabelle