How many SHS appeals this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ariel

How many SHS appeals this year?

Post by ariel »

Does any one know how many appeals are being heard for SHS?

I know Ribston had over 60, and this seems to be about the norm for this year.

I wonder why the numbers are so great? I've heard many complaints that the two papers seemed harder/different this year, so I wonder whether that has prompted many more appeals?

ariel
totally_gutted

Re: How many SHS appeals this year?

Post by totally_gutted »

Hi Ariel
Our initial letter from the clerk to the panel said how many appeals had been registered (53 for Crypt) and also the figures from last year I think
May be worth checking with SHS admissions on Monday if your letter didnt mention numbers.

Will be thinking positive thoughts for you - very best of luck

X
ariel

Post by ariel »

Thank you TG x
capers123

Post by capers123 »

ariel wrote:Does any one know how many appeals are being heard for SHS?

I know Ribston had over 60, and this seems to be about the norm for this year.

I wonder why the numbers are so great? I've heard many complaints that the two papers seemed harder/different this year, so I wonder whether that has prompted many more appeals?
Hi,

I have no idea how many appeals there are for SHS this year. I suspect that the reason there were lots for Ribston is that last year a lot of appeals were upheld for there, so some parents might have thought it worth trying in case the same happened this year. Last year Ribston was very undersubscribed so the 'prejudice against the school' was likely to have been not very high, whereas I understand that this year it was full before the appeals started, so winning would have been a higher hurdle than last year.

Denmark Road is likely to have more appeals next year because they were undersubscribed this year, I would suspect, and maybe Ribston appeals will decrease?

I also suspect that more parents are aware of the appeals process, and it wouldn't surprise me if more are appealling for more than one school. This only comes from looking at appeals for other counties mentioned in the Appeals forum - Panels do NOT know if anyone is appealing for anywhere else, I should add (along with waiting list positions it is forbidden knowledge). It's possible to win appeals for more than one school; if that happens (and the child can only take up one place), the 'spare' unused place is NOT reallocated to another child.

Papers. There's a statement doing the rounds from the head of Crypt (on behalf of all the schools) saying that this year they had commissioned all new papers. I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something along the lines of the schools not knowing how difficult each paper would be, but that all children sat the papers in the same order, all would have potentially been equally thrown by the first paper being harder, and the scores from both papers are standardised and added together to obtain the score for the entire exam. Perhaps any parent who has a copy of said statement can post it here?
Capers