Non verbal reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rainy

Non verbal reasoning

Post by Rainy »

Hi new to the site, yesterday I gave my son an Athey non verbal paper the first section was jigsaws where you have all the pieces of an abstract picture to find.They are all numbered and you have to write the numbers in a grid. I haven't seen these sort on any paper before I wondered if anyone knows if this type of question is usually in the 11+ Also what are the best papers for those wanting to go to King Edwards in Louth. He has worked through the bond how to books. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I would hate him to not cope in the exam because he wasn't given the most appropriate material.
Alex

Re: Non verbal reasoning

Post by Alex »

Welcome Rainy.

The Athey tests are not really appropriate for practice for Lincolnshire NVR. The question types here are those which appear in the NfER/Letts/GL papers. Have a look at the two stickies at the top of the Lincolnshire section:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =21&t=4525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 21&t=21660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They will get you started on the right track. If you have further questions there are plenty of people around to help you along the journey.
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Thank you for your advice and support Alex :)
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

Hi Rainy,

We did prep for the KEVIGS test last year,

we used the Bond books (the 'how to' ones were very useful to us), the IPS papers and then the Letts (or GL assessment) ones towards the end.

This is a fab site, you're most definitely in the right place :D

Good Luck

D
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Thanks D :)
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

Rainy wrote:Thanks D :)

:lol:
MumLincs

Post by MumLincs »

Having coached my son for the last few months I am giving us both a break and getting a tutor for the final leg. We are aiming for QEHS and two out of the three tutors that I spoke to both tutor from the Athey papers for both VR & NVR. Their reasoning was that there are more questions per paper and more papers per pack, and the price was so reasonable. This conflicts with the advice given on this forum - should I be worried?? I have previously been using GL Assessment and NFER as recommended here. Maybe I could keep sneaking a few of these papers under sons nose between tutor lessons??
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

The number of questions and number of papers seems reasonable as long as the content is appropriate, which i dont know. Athey is not mentioned anywhere in the Lincs consortium's recommended practice materials, which i used for DD last year. I'm using the same materials for DS now.
MumLincs

Post by MumLincs »

I think I will let the tutor do his thing in the 4 weeks that we have him during the holidays - I am sure the tips he will give my son will be valuable, especially for speeding him up. He came highly recommended and also has a good success rate for getting children through the exam. I have had a look at the VR Athey papers and there are a lot of relevant question types as well as a few I have not come across before (not in the GL ). The tutor goes on holiday for the last 2 weeks of the summer so I think I will then go back to GL assessment and Letts.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

That sounds like a good plan! hope it goes well for your DC.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now