Nets

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tailsmo

Nets

Post by Tailsmo »

My DD is having trouble with nets. So am I :(

We are working on Bond, and have the explanation book, and are using the techniques of checking if the question is "can or cannot be made", eliminating symbols that are incorrect, then eliminating opposites, but are both still struggling, particularly on the questions where the symbols are very similar (lines or arrows).

Also, sometimes I really can't see why it is only 1 of the solutions, and am wondering if the net always stays in the same view, or can the cube be rotated?

Anyone able to help with a technique for both the above?

Thank you!!
aargh

Re: Nets

Post by aargh »

The nets can be rotated but the faces remain in the same relationship to each other.

I recommend making a foldable blank net covered with sticky back plastic. Use a whiteboard marker to draw symbols on each face and practice prediction of how they will align when folded. You can draw some isometric views for your DC to fill in with their predictions. Alternatively, photocopy and cut out the nets from the papers.
Try it in reverse too. Draw on a cube and get DC to draw a variety of nets it could have been made from.

We use great stuff in school called polydron. The shapes can be clicked together to form any net you like then re-formed differently. You can draw on these with a whiteboard marker and have the advantage of being able to match the net in the paper.
However, polydron gets expensive. A midi-tub from amazon costs £18.95 with basic bits. If you really go for it there are family packs for £145. Great fun and the best way I have found for getting my class to properly understand nets.
Last edited by aargh on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Cut out and play. :)

http://www.numeracycd.com/contents/acti ... puzzle.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although nets of cubes feature in Bond NVR I'm not convinced they come up on exam papers set by NFER.

Having said that we have looked at them.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Nets of cubes come up in the SATs and some practice papers we use.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks aargh and stevew61, getting hands on is clearly the way to go. I'll ask DD's teacher if they have polydron tomorrow when they're back at school and see if I can borrow some pices to make a cube, and in the meantime will have an inset day of cutting out today!
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

I borrowed some polydron from school and DD's Y6 teacher offered to go over nets with her too.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Glad you have made progress :D
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Hello,
As mentioned above abouy cube nets, should i go through all 11 nets.
I dont know where but i can recall that they do few nets in school and one of the book also explains about few of them...
Am i getting it right or better to go through all.
Just wondering do they appear in NFER exams.
Thanks
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

stevew61 wrote:Cut out and play. :)

http://www.numeracycd.com/contents/acti ... puzzle.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, that is a big help to Daddy!!!!
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Struggled with nets and cubes with both boys. Have decided to get tutor with my third (as I can't face home coaching again), I have found out there are no nets/cubes in Lincolnshire tests! 8)