Hello!! I'm back

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nif229

Hello!! I'm back

Post by nif229 »

Seems like years since I last posted - in fact I think it's just over 2!!

We have a DD in Yr 10 at AHS and a DS in Yr 8 at an independent, Akeley Wood (due to just missing out on 11+ and then not getting through on appeal)!

Our DD is sitting 5 GCSEs this year. We've had the odd wobble from her but generally she's pretty cool!

Anyway! I'm hoping to get as much info as I can from you guys (again) and would very much appreciate all the unconditional support that I know this forum gives!

Best Wishes

Nif229
Sally-Anne

Re: Hello!! I'm back

Post by Sally-Anne »

Welcome back nif! Lovely to hear from you again. :D

I am an "inbetweenie" on GCSEs - DS1 is nearing the end of Y12, and DS2 is in Y9, so the build up starts for him around now.

My single biggest piece of advice based on recent experience would be to find out which exam boards the school is using for each subject and buy the relevant revision guides. They allow you to get a good overview of all the topics for each subject and work on weaker areas throughout the coming year to get the grades up if necessary.

Good luck to your DD for the current exams.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd agree but ensure the revision guides are aimed at the right specification; some are out of date and a waste of money. We've borrowed some good books from the library so worth looking there too - assuming you still have one locally!

The exam board websites are also great as you can download past papers, markschemes and examiners reports.

http://www.aqa.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.edexcel.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ocr.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:I'd agree but ensure the revision guides are aimed at the right specification;
Indeed - there is a knack to finding the right ones, and you need to check with your DD that she recognises the syllabus. The "Look Inside" facility on Amazon is useful, and is usually enabled for most of the guides.
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Our DD's School seems very organised and gave out an exam schedule in March which clearly states each exam board.

I know that AQA for instance have their own revision guides but our DD preferred CGP?! I hope those books are ok?

In her mocks she got an A*/A in Maths, A* in Physics and B's in both Biology and Chemistry. Her predicted grades are mostly As. Do you know if mock exams are truly comparable to the real thing or are some papers harder?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These are all modules towards the GCSE I think - is she doing the AQA twin award in Maths?

Mocks are usually past papers so should be correct standard.
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Hi!

Yes, she gets 2 Maths GCSEs at the end of Yr 11. This week she's sitting calculator and non calculator in both Methods and Applications!

What is the point of having 2 Maths GCSEs?!

Her triple Science exams this week are indeed modules, I think she sits her next ones in January and then again next May/June?!

This is all very new to me (as you can tell)!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BOGOF ... :lol:

It means that the pupils (and the school!) can count their best result as their GCSE -

It's the only modular GCSE that will be allowed from September for new 'starters'.

Yes you're correct about the Science - three 'papers' and a practical ISA.
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Oh I see!!!

Yes, our DD is at AHS

See, this forum is amazing, I'm already learning more :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now