Bucks 11 plus changes - any news?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lillie

Bucks 11 plus changes - any news?

Post by Lillie »

All has been quiet here on the forum over the last couple of weeks following Sally-Anne's news regarding the forthcoming changes to the Bucks 11 plus from 2013 onwards. I am assuming there is no more news, though head teacher talks on the 11 plus system are coming up and there may be more news then. Just wondered if anyone had heard anything more.
Sally-Anne

Re: Bucks 11 plus changes - any news?

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just to make the point again:

:: The only change to the 2013 admission round (testing in autumn 2012) is the introduction of the Review system for Appeals. That applies to the current Year 5.

:: Any changes to the test content will be for the 2014 admission round, the current Year 4.

The answer to your question is that I have seen the Heads' Powerpoint presentation for this year and, apart from a reference to the Review system for appeals, there is nothing further to be gleaned from it. I think it may stay that way for some while now on test content.

Parents might find it interesting to question Primary Heads on what they know about the new Review process though ...

For the time being, anyone with a current Y4 child would be well advised to make sure that their English (especially vocabulary) and maths are both strongly up to scratch. They will serve every child well, whatever the test comprises, and whatever the outcome of testing is.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

Thanks as ever for your prompt and very sensible advice Sally-Anne. I wonder if the heads will just feign ignorance about changes to the test content for the current Year 4 if their "official" presentation only includes information on the changes to the review process (which I know are being introduced sooner)?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If they do that I imagine there will be chaos at the 11 plus meetings with everyone trying to say their bit and speculating like mad...
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lillie wrote:I wonder if the heads will just feign ignorance about changes to the test content for the current Year 4 if their "official" presentation only includes information on the changes to the review process (which I know are being introduced sooner)?
The primary audience for the Head's presentation is parents of current Y5 pupils, but many of them will of course have younger siblings, and that is where the problem will arise, with parents derailing the presentation with their concerns about next year and beyond.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Our talk mentioned the change from Appeals to Review Panels but there was no explanation as to what the difference was.

There was no mention of any impending changes to the test itself other than the date of testing will change (after the current year 5) to fall in line with the 'result before school application' protocol.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Lillie wrote:I wonder if the heads will just feign ignorance about changes to the test content for the current Year 4 if their "official" presentation only includes information on the changes to the review process (which I know are being introduced sooner)?
The primary audience for the Head's presentation is parents of current Y5 pupils, but many of them will of course have younger siblings, and that is where the problem will arise, with parents derailing the presentation with their concerns about next year and beyond.

Yes, but our headteacher originally extended the invitation to all years (probably regretting that now :lol: )
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

scary mum wrote:Yes, but our headteacher originally extended the invitation to all years (probably regretting that now :lol: )
Indeed - I know of a couple of schools that do this formally, and others where savvy Y4 parents simply turn up, and the schools don't seem to mind.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

Parents of all year groups are encouraged to attend the 11 plus presentation at my children's school. Although mainly Y5 parents go, there are still a few keen parents from other years as well. I do think the sooner some form of statement is given, be it from the grammars themselves or through the council or whatever the appropriate route is now, then the better, at least to abate some of the parents!
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

Lillie - I think the consulting process is still ongoing, so no statements can be issued yet.
Also, I don't think that most parents are even aware of the forthcoming changes yet.
Good advice from Sally Anne re: the vocab & maths.
But you do wonder when & what we will be told.
Last edited by Garnett on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now