Green bus!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lottie78

Green bus!

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
I've read the posts about the changes etc to the green bus service. Does anyone know what came of the meetings . My sons tutor mentioned that a few parents are reconsidering the 11plus because without the bus service it would be impossible for their dc to get to any of the schools, or even with a massive price rise it would be out of the question. It would be a hard decision for us, hate to think that Ds has put in so much work and regardless if he passes 11 plus or not he may still not be able to go!
Lottie
daveg

Re: Green bus!

Post by daveg »

lottie78 wrote:Hi,
I've read the posts about the changes etc to the green bus service. Does anyone know what came of the meetings . My sons tutor mentioned that a few parents are reconsidering the 11plus because without the bus service it would be impossible for their dc to get to any of the schools
Why can't they use city buses and trains?
NewMom

Post by NewMom »

The bus service (part of WMT) that is used for KES costs around £80 per term, the fees charged by the green bus by comparison seem very expensive. Don’t know about the travel arrangements in great detail but cant the those who provide the KES bus service, also supply a similar service to other schools, as surely the demand is there. The only factor I can think that may be causing such a difference is if the school itself is subsiding part of the costs, other than that not sure why it cant be done.
koala

Post by koala »

The Green Bus passes for 2012/13 can now be purchased online for West Mids. However, my parent log-in details to apply for the bus pass are at home (we are away) and so cannot get through the pass application process to see the prices (and they are not on the main website part). I can phone them tomorrow after the bank holiday, but I am keen to know the final prices negotiated. They were £595 per annum. Thanks in advance.

Koala
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
I've just checked and the standard pass has gone up to £750 per year!!
But at least it's still operating, massive increase though!!
koala

Post by koala »

Thanks Lottie - expensive but better than anticipated! Koala
KenR

Post by KenR »

They have however agreed to a discount for years 11 to 13 which reduces to £595 (due reduced journeys as a result of study leave etc)
koala

Post by koala »

Just spoken to The Green Bus about having to pay £1350 pa for two children to travel a shortish distance to school, to be informed that following a management meeting yesterday afternoon, revised prices will be announced either over the weekend or directly after the weekend. Suggest all those Birmingham parents who use the bus view their website on Monday. http://Www.thegreenbus.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
We may receive emails informing us of this decision but in the meantime please ignore letters with the price of £750 per child.

Koala
daveg

Post by daveg »

koala wrote:Just spoken to The Green Bus about having to pay £1350 pa for two children to travel a shortish distance to school
A city-wide bus pass is £24.50 a month.
koala

Post by koala »

Thanks daveg - it does appear ludicrous to use the Green Bus based on your info, but where we live I have to travel 7 or 8 miles to get a bus that goes past the school and would mean a much earlier start. I might as well take them all the way (11 miles). However, I still have to travel 4 miles to the Green Bus but when they are on it I know they will be at school within 20/25 mins.

I have researched public transport and there is not an easy way to get there. If you think public transport should be an option, I will pm you where I live, and the school my Dc attend to see if you can help me.

koala
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now