Yr 3 Enjoyable Reading Books

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
suzanne

Yr 3 Enjoyable Reading Books

Post by suzanne »

Hi

My Yr 3 DC and I have just finished reading Heidi tonight which we really enjoyed. I wondered if anyone has any Yr 3/4 reading suggestions?

Having not heard any reading for over a year I thought it was time to change! We have been reading alternate pages. We have read the Paddington series which was very enjoyable and funny (would really recommend Paddington), Wind and the Willows which was great but a bit challenging in places and now Heidi.

I have just bought Ivan Brett - Casper Candlewacks in Death by Pigeon which looks fun, but would be grateful for any other recommendations.

Many thanks
Booklady

Re: Yr 3 Enjoyable Reading Books

Post by Booklady »

Hi there - DD is Y3 is currently loving reading Milly Molly Mandy! Some old fashioned language which we have to explain - but thats all good for verbal reasoning! Also Enid Blyton - Five go ...... she is loving those too.

Have fun! :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

suzanne wrote:Hi

My Yr 3 DC and I have just finished reading Heidi tonight which we really enjoyed.
We are also Heidi’s fan in my family. If your DC really enjoyed this story, maybe he/she would like to go further by reading a sequel written by another author? Heidi grows up by Charles Tritten... and there is even Heidi’s children!
In the same genre, there is Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter. To be honest, I don’t know how the difficult the vocabulary would be for a year 3 / 4 child as we haven’t read it yet. We’ve just finished to watch the film today and my DS (year 6) is all excited by the film and wishes to read the book.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The adventures of Tom Sawyer, Just William, Tom' Midnight Garden, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. DG
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I would second Just William!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now