New O-Level style exams

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Josa

New O-Level style exams

Post by Josa »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18529471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Re: New O-Level style exams

Post by scary mum »

Saw this on the news this morning. If it goes ahead it means my 3 DCs will all do different styles of GCSEs! I know the system isn't perfect but I do wish they would stop messing with it. It must be awful for the teachers.
scary mum
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I dont know what the rest of you think but when I went to school we took our O levels in summer (or CSEs ) and those who failed could resit in September. Correct me if I am wrong, now the kids can take the exams more than once even if they pass to "improve" their grades, I dont think this system is right, it gives them the message that it doesnt matter if you dont do very well because you can always do it again, and again, until you get the grade you want, all of this at the tax payers expense. If the child fails the exam then of course they should get the chance to do it again, but what I am against is the child who gets an A resitting the exam because they want to get an A*.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The system is ALREADY changing to linear this September ... let's try that first!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Guest 201 - I am not sure why you feel like that. If a child fails the exam completely (without medical problems or similar obs) then it is because they are a lazy little so and so and have done no work .
If a child gets an A but wants an A* then that can be because they have done loads of work and have the ability but got one unlucky question or one capricious marker. I think they are the people who most deserve the chance to retake.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:The system is ALREADY changing to linear this September ... let's try that first!

Hear, hear.
scary mum
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

what I am against is the child who gets an A resitting the exam because they want to get an A*.
Why? Doesn’t that show a certain determination? As long as the initiative to improve their grades comes from the child rather than school or parent, I think it’s praiseworthy.

As regards the cost, most schools charge for re-takes I believe.
um

Post by um »

According to these plans, my ds1 will be in the very last cohort ever to take GCSEs.

I wonder what effect this will have on his motivation, given that he will be aware from the media that the GCSEs will by then be regarded as discredited and defunct qualifications.

:cry:
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I agree with you, um.
I cannot see why any exam board which deserves the business cannot have the new spec and exam up and running by monday morning.
They already set the old O levels for overseas students anyway plus they set the IGCSE. If they cannot get their act together quickly enough then give ALL the exam contracts to Cambridge Assessment and add AQA OCR and Edexcel to the bonfire of the quangos.
daveg

Post by daveg »

magwich2 wrote:I agree with you, um.
I cannot see why any exam board which deserves the business cannot have the new spec and exam up and running by monday morning.
They already set the old O levels for overseas students anyway.
What do you propose they dust off for the people who will not be taking O Levels?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now