Does the grammar school classify the students?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GM

Does the grammar school classify the students?

Post by GM »

Could anybody know if the grammar school classifies the students to different levels? For example, taking a test, then according to the result to classify them into different classes, like top classes, middleclasses and lower classes?

Thanks.

Post by Guest »

in my child's school,they do place them in sets after tests half termly,termly and end of year.

there is movement up and down sets, spaces permitting.but,the standard is very high so the sets are quite close in abilities. you get only a few who are really struggling with their work.

Post by Guest »

It depends on the grammar school. Some have a policy of not streaming or setting children. Others test them at the start of year 7 (or on a Saturday towards the end of year 5) and put them in classes according to their performance.

Post by Guest »

Sorry ref. in last post to "year 5" should have been to "year 6"!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

GM - why don't you post this is the area your child is going - you might get a more meaningful answer.

We had no setting in Year 7 ..
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear GM

Perhaps post in you area.

In Bucks it does seem to vary, some schools do no setting in year 7 others will ensure each class has a mix of children, depending on their SATs results and 11 plus score, making each class mixed ability.

Setting starts in year 8 [mainly for Maths]

Patricia
GM

Post by GM »

Thanks everybody for your reply. I am in Bucks, my daughter will go to AHS. Setting starts in year 8 is quite reasonable because all children will have one year same education before the testing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Many of the Bucks Grammars do this - this means they aren't setted on the basis of how good their Primary School was!

As Patricia says Maths is the most common subject where pupils are setted.
GM

Post by GM »

Thanks Guest55. I am not worried my daughter's maths, she is good at it. I worried her English since English is not her first language.

Maybe I asked another question? When will we know the SATs result for Year6?
Thanks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now