What is Wallington like as an area to live in?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cerney

What is Wallington like as an area to live in?

Post by cerney »

Hi all

I am mother of three and I am new to all this. We currently live in north London and are thinking of moving to Wallington as there appears to be more grammer schools in the area. What's Wallington like? I hear South Wallington is the best bit to live in. Is it safe? Is there a community feel?

This is a big decision for us and I want to make sure we are making the right decision! Has anyone recently moved into the area for schools? What's been your experience please?

Many thanks in advance
huntlie

Re: What is Wallington like as an area to live in?

Post by huntlie »

Much depends on your budget! I think most people would say that Cheam is the best part of the borough of Sutton. If you're looking for a 4 bedroomed family home, you can get one in Cheam village for about £575,000, but if you want South Cheam it'll be more like £750,000+.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

The obvious advice is to take a look around and see where you like and afford! If you're thinking of catchment areas as a factor, then please bear in mind the following (this is from memory so happy to be corrected!). You'll see that it might make a difference if you have a boy or a girl.

Wallington Boys- no catchment area (if same score and exceeds no of places, then distance a decider) so advantage of where you live is negligible

Wilson's- the last 15-22 places have a London Borough of Sutton priority, the closer the better, so slight advantage if in Wallington.

Sutton Grammar- same as Sutton

So if you have sons it doesn't make too much difference where you live though you should always try out the journeys!

For girls, it's a different kettle of fish:

Wallington Girls- top 100 can get in for anywhere; but 80 remaining places reserved for those within 6.7 km

Nonsuch- top 80 can get in from anywhere; but remaining 100 places reserved for those within 5.25 km

To add another complication, the Tiffin Boys and Girls schools in Kingston have no catchment at all so you could find somewhere within travelling distance of both Sutton, Wallington and Kingston. You could also decide not to move at all, take the exams, see what happens and move if successful.

Welcome to the crazy, complex world of the grammars in S London! And to answer your question, I don't know Wallington very well but I quite like the area around the Wallington Girls School.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi
Parts of wallington are very nice especially the south side. I lived there for several years with no problem. Much more reasonable price wise than Cheam too.
Also Bandon Hill primary school is very good and rated outstanding by ofsted. My father used to teach at Wilsons and always went on about how good Bandon Hill was and that more boys came from there than other local primaries (don't know how true this is).
Feel free to pm me if you would like more specific info on any particular part of town.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just a minor point to Panicattack's post above.

Sutton Grammar - same as Wallington County
Wallington High for Girls - 100 places on open selection; 110 for catchment area.

Also if you have daughters, it is more advantageous if you live in certain part of Cheam/Carshalton/Sutton which falls in the catchment of both Nonsuch and Wallington Girls.
There is also a very frequent bus service from Sutton to Kingston.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Tiffin boys is quite right, I think wallington is out of the Nonsuch catchment and vice Versa for Cheam and wally girs. Sutton is in the middle and covers both also at least one partially selective comp in Sutton as a fall back. Do you have boys or girls?
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Thanks TB. Yes, I did mean Sutton same as Wally Boys!

You mention that people can get from Kingston to Sutton fairly easily. Is Kingston to Wallington very difficult?

An interesting differentiator about Wilson's is that they start GCSEs a year earlier than normal. Some might think it too early to drop some subjects or to make the decision. However, it would allow a more in-depth study of their chosen subjects and their GCSE results are brilliant.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

panicattack wrote:Thanks TB.

You mention that people can get from Kingston to Sutton fairly easily. Is Kingston to Wallington very difficult? .
There is no direct bus or train. Only once I tried, changing bus at Sutton, and it took awfully long even though it was off-peak time.

panicattack wrote:An interesting differentiator about Wilson's is that they start GCSEs a year earlier than normal. Some might think it too early to drop some subjects or to make the decision. However, it would allow a more in-depth study of their chosen subjects and their GCSE results are brilliant.
That's something I had missed. Thanks, PA
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
jjmumoftwo

Post by jjmumoftwo »

I've lived in Wallington all my life. It has one of the lowest crime rates of any London Borough. There can be quite a community spirit in some parts. I guess living here for so long and having kids means I know a lot of people, but whenever we have moved, we always got on with neighbours and have been lucky they were the sort of people who would keep an eye on the house whilst we were away or bring our bins back in once emptied etc.

Wallington has great transport links and is great for shopping locally or in Sutton or Croydon. Employment opportunities are not too bad, I don't know many around here amongst my friends/family who have been out of work for long.

Leisure and social aspects are also great. Westcroft leisure centre is currently undergoing a huge refurbishment, plus there is the Phoenix Centre.

I'd been happy to answer any other specific questions you have about the area. I never intend living anywhere else and its not just family and friends keeping us here.
cerney

Post by cerney »

Thank you all very much for your kind input it's given us a much clearer idea about wallington. We quite like South Wallington especially near Park Hill Road but are there any areas that we should avoid thank you. We hve 2 boys 7 and 1 and a girl 4 yrs old. Good tips on primary schools. Thx again
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now