Do we need all the books listed??!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
looleeuk

Do we need all the books listed??!!

Post by looleeuk »

Evening all,
I'm just trying to do a bit of research into my DD taking the 11+. With hubby being RAF we are (supposed to be) being posted to Lincs for the next tour (hopefully....) and have decided that as eldest DD is on school no.5 aged 10 and will have 2 more schools before settling into secondary school properly, it's time for us to lay down roots somewhere .

Looking at the books listed as being helpful for the VR and NVR tests, the only book which actually says it contains all 21 types of question used for VR is the GL assessment pack 2 - does this mean the other books mentioned (IPS, Susan Daughtrey(sp?) etc) therefore don't contain all 21 types? How do you know which books to get then- I'm hoping I don't need to buy all 15 books mentioned for both VR and non VR??!! We'll be broke :roll:

Many thanks in advance,
Lucy
Alex

Re: Do we need all the books listed??!!

Post by Alex »

Welcome

You don't need all the books! IPS. AFN and SD Bright sparks all have the 21 types for VR as well as the GL Assessment/NfER/Letts papers. There are fewer practice materials for NVR.

Here is a link to a rather old post where people are discussing the books they have found most useful - I think it is still a good starting point.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also quite a lot of useful information in one of the stickies above:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =21&t=4525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are still stuck, ask and we will try to help.

Are you expecting to be posted to Coningsby, Cranwell or Waddington? Coningsby is right in the selective area; Cranwell would normally have no problem getting into the Sleaford schools but Waddington is too far away from any Grammar Schools to be absolutely confident of entry and most people there go for Priory LSST instead.
looleeuk

Post by looleeuk »

Thank you very much for your reply Alex. It's good to know it won't bankrupt us!
I have a few more Q's but need to work out exactly what I want to ask first,

Thanks once again.
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

I'm having the same problem!

Have just bought the Letts Practice papers as QEHSG recommended them - are these the same as the NFeR ones, or are those available separately, and if so where?

We've been using the Bond Books, and I think we will have exhausted them soon, so wanted to make sure we're covering all the right sorts of questions. I see from the other posts that there are 21 types in IPS plus some more in SD. Is there anywhere online that lists what these are? My dd does very well in the Bond NVR (apart from nets, but these aren't in the consortium test, handily) and did the Practice Test at QEHSG for these, and was able to remember which types of question were covered (5 types).

She didn't get to the VR Practice Test, so don't know what ones are included. We're also prepping for CGS, which is VR only - does anyone know which/how many types are covered? She's pretty good but inclined to be slow which is what practice will help with, but would rather be doing the right type.

Is it worth me buying the IPS books and/or SD books too? She's my oldest of 3, so I'll get my money's worth I think, and we're not paying for tutors as dh/I pretty competent and she's very compliant/willing/keen to do them anyway - especially the 10 minute practice tests.

Sorry to bombard with questions - have tried to highlight the questions amongst my waffle. Thanks in advance!