Travelling to JHGS from Winnersh

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

advice

Travelling to JHGS from Winnersh

Post by advice »

Hi, anyone going to John Hampden from Winnersh, Wokingham Area?

Thanks
advice

Re: Travelling to JHGS from Winnersh

Post by advice »

Hi, has anyone travelled to JHGS from Winnersh, Wokingham or Reading in the past?? How have you found the journey ??

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Presumably you considered how to get your son there before you applied?
advice

Post by advice »

Guest55 wrote:Presumably you considered how to get your son there before you applied?
Yes indeed with did.. we have done dummy runs to see what traffic is like in peak hours. Do you have experience of going daily to JHGS?

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No, but High Wycombe is a known problem at peak hours; the Handy Cross roundabout features regularly in traffic alerts.
advice

Post by advice »

Oh gosh, that does not sound good??

Has anyone has experience of taking their child to school in High Wycombe from Berkshire (Reading, Winnersh, Wokingham) on a daily basis?

Thanks
andyb

Post by andyb »

I have not done Winnersh to JHGS but I did have to travel from Marlow to Winnersh for work briefly and the journey took an hour or more (leaving Marlow around 7.30am to be sure of getting to Winnersh for 9am) - and that was joining the A404 at Bisham roundabout - you may have to add a further 20 minutes to negotiate the Marlow by-pass and Handy Cross roundabout :( . As Guest55 says Handy Cross is notorious for snarl ups and it is so unpredictable - one day you could do J8/9 M4 to JHGS in 10 minutes, a slight hiccup on either the M40, A40 or M25 and the same part of the journey could take an hour!
advice

Post by advice »

Thanks Andyp..

I think we have been really lucky. I did a dummy run again today and again it took us 30mins. I think it is going to be too much for us. It is going to frustrate the life out of us if we can not get our son to school on time if we leave at home at 07:30. It is a great school and we do have the intentions of moving however we fear that is will be a slow move as we need to sell our house and then find one. If it ends up taking us an hour each day, just to get him to school, I think that will be too much for all of us!!

Does anyone travel up to 1hr for secondary schools nowadays?

Thanks
andyb

Post by andyb »

advice wrote: I think we have been really lucky. I did a dummy run again today and again it took us 30mins.
You have been lucky, possibly because there tends to be less school traffic at this time of the year as Y11's have either left or are only going in for GCSE exams and Y13 are only going in for A level exams and, also, those folk that are not restricted to school holiday dates may be taking their summer break now - I have noticed that my journey is freer of traffic than in, say, September.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

September is always bad, you are right, andyb. I think people do travel for an hour to secondary school, but you need to think of your DS's homework, social life, out of school activities etc. If you were collecting after school clubs wouldn't be such a problem as if they were getting a school bus, but as they get older you may find they feel a bit isolated from their friends. Also, some years you would be unlikely to get in to JHGS from Winnersh anyway. Good luck with choosing a school.
scary mum