Sutton Grammar Mock Test Results 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stummyuk

Sutton Grammar Mock Test Results 2012

Post by stummyuk »

The results for the SGS mock tests have been posted.

How did you DS/DD do?

x
tiffinboys

Re: Sutton Grammar Mock Test Results 2012

Post by tiffinboys »

Thank you for the alert, stummyuk.

PTA is also doing a survey as well about the format of the entrance tests. It is an opportunity to let SGS know about your views about timing, 2 stage testing and pass/fail format of the results.

As this forum debated some time ago, I feel that, according to the new School Admissions Code, the test needs to done in time for CAF as well as atleast test scores should be give instead of pass/fail result of one part of the test only.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

It sounds like they've made up their minds. Anyone who takes the survey will see it is worded in quite a leading fashion.

They seem to be proposing:
stage 1: exams in September to whittle down applicants with a broad pass or fail awarded in time to fill out the preferences form.

stage 2: English and Maths tests for those deemed to be of selective ability to rank them with a view to making offers to those who come top.

It sounds like a no win situation all round for parents - although maybe I am missing something.
Stage 1 will tell you nothing about your chances of getting grammar school place disregarding the new Admission Code that says parents should be given more information.
Stage 2 will be held later and will be arguably even more stressful - ‘so close yet so far’ pressures on children who have made the first hurdle but must now top the rankings and a more public disappointment for those who narrowly miss being selected to go forward into the second round. It is going to cause a lot of upset very early in Year 6 because at the moment results are confidential and cannot be guessed by other classmates at primary school.

I am also wondering how you appeal. If your child isn’t even allowed to complete all tests, can you still request a non qualification appeal in March? Or do you lose that right - which is afterall a legal right for those who apply properly ie list the school AND take the exams. I know few of these appeals are upheld but nevertheless parents have the right to ask for them to be heard and some may have overwhelming reasons why their child failed to make the grade on that day and / or have evidence of exceptional academic ability. If your child is prevented from taking the stage 2 exams do you also lose your right to an appeal?

Again I may be missing something but the proposed system doesn’t seem to improve informed choice, ease exam pressure or make the system any more open or fair. I suppose the only advantage is not having to sit 3 or 4 tests in 2 weeks but surely sitting 3 or 4 'stage 1' tests in quick succession followed by numerous stage 2 tests at a more leisurely pace isn't such a great advantage?
laretta

Post by laretta »

London mum
I agree, far too long and drawn out, enough pressure on the children already. I think it's far better to take them one after another and get them over with. Also more than one crack at the whip - I have read of many who have passed just one out of three tests and gone on to be offered a selective place. With these new proposals if you have an off day then that's it! Also as you say, how would the appeals work? Would there be a round of appeals for round one and then another for round two? All seems a little difficult to orchestrate, I suppose we can see what happens with tiffin girls this year.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

London_Mum wrote:
I am also wondering how you appeal. ............ If your child is prevented from taking the stage 2 exams do you also lose your right to an appeal?
The way around this problem would be to put the School name on CAF. Admission would be denied and then you would have right of appeal.

I think that the TGS advise not to put the school name on CAF, if not invited to stage 2, is not correct and would defintiely come up at Appeals forum.

However, about the other suggestion of holding common exam by a group of school, I feel that it would be helpful in reducing the pressure on the children who are now taking 3 or 4 exams in short period of time. Laretta has made a valid point about some children having an off-day and thus losing chance to grammar education.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

tiffinboys - but would it count against you? According to appeals information, you can only appeal if you name the school on your preference sheet AND if you complete the tests. If you are denied a place in the second stage exams, by default you have not completed the testing process. Are you therefore ineligible to appeal even if you name the school?

I agree with laretta too. One of the advantages to the current high stress process is that children can have an off day and still get a grammar school place. Yes it involves many exams but many exams equates to many chances and children do benefit from this. Some people believe a child who passes one test will pass them all or a child who fails one test is not of selective ability. The results and final offers show this is not the case.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

London_mum: your point is valid but in the absence of any other option, only step we can take is to include the School in the preferences and then appeal. Appeal is for refusal of admission and then it would be tested when right of appeal should be given if all parts of test are not completed.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi all
I think we may have hijacked this thread a little as it was originally for parents to come and post their mock results (if they wanted).
So if anyone wants to share - go ahead.
Also wanted to mention that all those with disappointing results, do not despair. My dd no1 missed the pass mark by 2 points, but then went on to be offered her 1st choice school with almost 40 points over cut off. Also I have read on here that some who were 30-40 points below the pass mark in the mock still managed to be offered a superselective place. :D
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, Laretta for taking this thread back to the original topic. :wink:

This mock is good value for money. Although the test didn't have NVR and not too difficult (as per my DC :roll: !!!!), DC would be lot at ease on the exam day and this is very helpful.

By October, we would know how much the current format and results of the mock tests relate to actual performance in the entrance tests.
stummyuk

Post by stummyuk »

Tiffinboys,

The SGS for us was practice for a real exam environment.

There's an 11+ mock in Wallington which has VR and NVR and wondered if anyone else has done them?