Sale out of Trafford places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gatleymum

Sale out of Trafford places

Post by gatleymum »

DD1 is sitting the exams for AGGS and Sale in Sept.

Sale was really an insurance choice, but having visited the two schools this last week, we couldn't help but be more impressed by Sale than AGGS.

I need to temper this, as (it appeared to me, anyway) Sale made a huge effort to sell itself, whereas AGGS didn't seem to have their heart in it, for whatever reason.

Anyway, we are not in the Trafford postcodes that require just a pass for Sale, so my question is:

How good do you have to be to get in on highest marks?
Is 80% on GL papers OK, or are we talking more like 90%, 95%..?
What proportion of spaces are left after the Trafford children are accounted for?

Also, I noted that there were several posters around the school about behaviour / dress. Does this indicate that behaviour at Sale is not as good as it might be?

Thanks for any thoughts..
TraffordMum

Re: Sale out of Trafford places

Post by TraffordMum »

This year Sale did not fill its places on 1st March so if you passed, lived in the Outer Hebrides and had put Sale first you'd have got a place! That said, this is the first time it has happened and I don't think anyone has any clue as to why it happened. It doesn't mean it will happen again next year.

Just keep practising and have a go. You've got nothing to lose because it's exactly the same format as the AGGS exam. In my experience of 6 or so years of these exams Sale is easier to pass than the Altrincham grammars' exam and it's therefore a good school to have down on your list, especially because the exam is after the Altrincham exam and any first-time nerves will have been calmed down.

I have friends with children at Sale and they are all very happy there. I don't hear that behaviour and dress is an issue. High expectations leads to high standards?
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Interesting post gatelymum and thanks for sharing. I have just posted another thread about DD taking more exams than just AGGS. We too are out of Trafford so interesting to read Sale was under PAN this year. How we all feel about these different schools is interesting too, for me AGGS completely won us over and for us nothing has toped that yet. I was impressed by the school, the girls and the speech but I know we all have different opinions of what is right for our DC's and they know what is right for them also. At another open day I was sitting next to a lady who went round Alty and knew as did her DD that it wasn't for them, yet DD and I are yet to have that 'at home' feeling we had there. Maybe is just as simple as knowing what does/n't feel right at a particular school.

Good luck with Sale too, have you thought of Urmston, another on our list of maybe's :wink:
Last edited by countrymum on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
gatcheadmum

Post by gatcheadmum »

I'd like to know how high you have to be aswell. We are also out of Trafford.
Really liked Sale Grammar yesterday too.

Not sure about the journey there and back each day - no direct bus, whereas Kingsway is easier to get to.
gatleymum

Post by gatleymum »

Thanks, TM.
Hadn't realised they all got in this year!
gatleymum

Post by gatleymum »

Hi, CM

I wasn't criticising AGGS as a school, just noting the difference in presentation, and that it made us think more seriously of Sale, AGGS is probably still favourite. I'm in overanalysis mode I think. With three daughters, different schools could be better for each one but a logistical nightmare. Anyway, at the end of the day all the possible schools look miles better than the awful place I went to!

Might look at Urmston, and leave it up to DD1 whether she wants to add another exam to her list.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

You have to tell yourself how great it is that we have such choice! :wink:

The schools genuinely look different depending on which child you take. What seems perfect for one is not the right school for the next one. It can be hard juggling that in terms of logistics but I know quite a few families who have chosen different Trafford grammars for different siblings even though they passed all the exams and could have gone to the same school. Juggling transport makes that more difficult, of course.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

I agree TM we are very fortunate to have these schools in our area and for me pass or no pass I am very appreciative to be able to give my DD the opportunity.

GM I knew it wasn't a criticism just sharing your thoughts :D We didn't go to Sale last night and like UG would be bit more of a treck for her. Would like a nose round Urmston though ( Open day 12th ) have heard lots of good things about the school. I think travel etc a really good point as especially like me with other child at different school these things really are important and have to be taken into account.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now