Sitting more than one exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Sitting more than one exam

Post by countrymum »

Hi, having spoken at length with DD's head, it was recommended that she should sit as many exams as she felt comfortable with as was good practice for her and gives her as much opportunity as possible. Obviously we have to take distance/admission policies into consideration and as regards the exam practice, top choice ( AGGS ) is the first exam anyway. She liked Loreto too at the open day and just wondered if taking other exams for different Trafford Grammar's was worthwhile. Is it wasting their time and hers as even if she passed, with their admission policies she wouldn't be high up on the list anyway.

Have spoken to DD and she really wants to take more than just AGGS. Don't want to overload her either.
TraffordMum

Re: Sitting more than one exam

Post by TraffordMum »

I think you should be realistic. Unless you have a good chance of getting into Loreto under their oversubscription policy (i.e. are you Catholic enough?) then it's a waste of time taking the Loreto exam because it's a very narrow selection policy. Plus, Loreto's exams are different to AGGS/Sale so you need to add extra preparation. If you know people who got in Ambrose (the boys' Catholic equivalent to Loreto) who come from far and wide don't think that this applies to Loreto as well. It doesn't.

Doing AGGS and Sale is a no-brainer, in my opinion. Once you've prepared for one you've prepared for the other. The unfortunate thing here is that the AGGS exam's first, because it is the hardest to pass and you therefore have less room for error/nerves. However, having done AGGS, Sale is a known proposition and considered more friendly since you sit the exam with everyone else from your school rather than being randomly assigned to a room as you are at AGGS.

Urmston is interesting. Traditionally it has had a very tight catchment and the chances of getting into the school from outside the immediate area were minimal unless you were one of the Top 20 scorers. As a result it used to be only the north Trafford locals who took the exam. However, a couple of years ago, Urmston decided to move its exam to be the first of the Trafford grammars. This lead to a lot of south Traffordites taking the Urmston exam as practice for the AGGS/AGSB exam. For whatever reasons, the outcome was that less kids passed from Urmston and more kids passed from further south, the latter subsequently passing and choosing to attend Sale/Alty/Catholic grammars. Urmston did not fill its places on 1st March this year and has reacted by moving its exam after AGGS/AGSB/Sale for 2012, presumably to get rid of the people taking their exam purely for "Practice". Add to that the fact that the Urmston format is different - there's an English paper instead of VR - and I think it likely that it will revert to its former model - places being filled by those living very close to the school.

So my view is to take exams for the schools you would definitely consider sending your daughter to but not the ones either for which she has no chance (in oversubscription terms) or would be impossible in terms of transport etc. I don't think you should underestimate the stress involved and the effort it takes for each of these exam sessions. It is exhausting both mentally and physically and I really wouldn't do more than you have to. It may seem fun now, but it won't come September.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Last edited by countrymum on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi cm

If it helps you to know Loreto did not admit all Cat 5 for last year- I know someone who did not get a place.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi cm

If it helps you to know Loreto did not admit all Cat 5 for last year- I know someone who did not get a place. They changed the criteria with each category to admin those with highest score- it used to be on distance. I think it would be very unusual for anyone past Cat 5 to be admitted- very different to St A.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

The head of Loreto saying that the girls should not be tutored is amusing to me. The Catholic primaries that are its biggest feeders are the most intensive tutors of them all!

I have never heard of anyone from Cat 7 getting into Loreto at Y7 admission point (going back at least 6 years). It's usually Cat 4 or Cat 5 where the list stops. However, no-one would have bet on Sale and Urmston not filling their places this year, so stranger things have happened. Loreto is not one for you to pin your hopes on, though.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Last edited by countrymum on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

The Loreto blazers are just gorgeous. I have coveted one many times. However, I console myself with the knowledge that they are a lot more expensive than the navy poly AGGS blazer ;)
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Last edited by countrymum on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

TraffordMum wrote:The Loreto blazers are just gorgeous. I have coveted one many times. However, I console myself with the knowledge that they are a lot more expensive than the navy poly AGGS blazer ;)
Ha ha TM what fine taste you have. AND girls yr 7-9/10 I think
it is can't even wear them around school!! One of their rules to be hung on peg at arrival and then worn home only.

I did gulp when the girls told me they are £90!! I ask all the important questions you know :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now