Floods

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Floods

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I decided not to drive from Scotland to London today because of the weather. I was wondering if anyone has info on their area about roads affected by the floods if they could post it here so that those intending to travel can avoid them. My route was mainly M6 and M1 but google is being vague!
hermanmunster

Re: Floods

Post by hermanmunster »

One local tweet so far:
Anyone heading this way, Mountain to Oxenhope passable, though lots of standing water, rain, strong wind and fairly thick fog
- not sure if that is the best route though :oops:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/0 ... ather-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

Here in Gloucestershire, or my little bit of it, we are holding our breath as we were flooded in 2007 and without water for over two weeks when the water treatment works flooded. One end of my lane is already cut off and I am waiting for OH and DD to get home, which they should already have done, via the other way.

Garden already flooding as stream at the bottom bursts its banks. Chickens looking deeply unimpressed - am making them some porridge.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I hope everyone gets home safely Amber and that the situation doesn't worsen.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ex OH was going up to Newcastle tomorrow (from here in Harrogate - straight up the A1), but decided to cancel it, his mum couldn't understand it as apparently it's nice in Newcastle today.

It's been torrential rain all day here, and more to come over the weekend, but as we're off the motorway it's not much use to you WFG, sorry.
Amber

Post by Amber »

ourmaminhavana wrote:I hope everyone gets home safely Amber and that the situation doesn't worsen.
Thanks ourmam. :D Still raining steadily, but my people are home, and we have lit a fire, and given the hens porridge with sardines in as a special treat.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

No problems here at Loopy Towers (just the usual leaky roofs), but School Prizegiving was fun this morning. It was held in a marquee. All fine to begin with, but after half an hour the thunder and lightning began. The speeches were almost inaudible due to rain on the canvas, and the man sitting next to me had rainwater steadily dripping on his head :lol: .
Loopy
Amber

Post by Amber »

Loopyloulou wrote:No problems here at Loopy Towers (just the usual leaky roofs), but School Prizegiving was fun this morning. It was held in a marquee. All fine to begin with, but after half an hour the thunder and lightning began. The speeches were almost inaudible due to rain on the canvas, and the man sitting next to me had rainwater steadily dripping on his head :lol: .
Funnily enough, that is where DD and OH were on their way back from - not yours but a similar jolly event. I lasted 7 minutes in the marquee as (official reason) I wanted to check the state of the road and (real reason) I can't bear such occasions and the sound of people guffawing at their own jokes became too much for me after only 3 minutes. The other 4 minutes were spent trying to engineer my exit. Although DD did benefit in the prize department, she was clearly totally underwhelmed by the entire, soggy occasion.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Amber wrote:and given the hens porridge with sardines in as a special treat.
That'll make the eggs taste interesting! :? :lol:
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now