After some reassurance

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

After some reassurance

Post by countrymum »

Hi, just wanted a little reassurance that it is more than possible for a DC who has gone to a little state primary and when up against prep kids who day in day out are being taught the 11+ methods etc can still comfortably pass the 11+. I am trying to be as realistic as i can be and want to encourage my DD as much as possible but don't want to build hers and mine hopes up too much either. Someone told me that with her coming from state primary ( and although doing well ) she really shall have to pull out all the stops to pass against prep prepared children

Would really like to hear your success stories of state primary DC's who have passed.

Thanks.
TraffordMum

Re: After some reassurance

Post by TraffordMum »

2 state educated daughters here, both at your No 1 choice of school. The number of prep girls has increased in the last few years but it's not as high as you are imagining. There are 4-5 in an average class of 29 in Years 9-11 and slightly higher in Years 7 and 8, I suspect because of the credit crunch. They are dwarfed in number by the number of girls who come to the school from a few of the bigger Trafford state primaries, who vary in how much teaching for the test they do.

Keep practising, keep a sense of humour and go for it :)
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thank you TM and JM for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it. I have never experienced anything like this and at times thinking about it can be so overwhelming. I am over thinking/analysing things and with the exam date looming getting a bit nervous for her. Flippen LOVED the school too as she and DH did and so however I keep thinking it doesn't matter is only a school, can't help but think it does matter and this her one and only chance to get it right on the day!

We have started the revision thing late, only just started some group tutoring at Easter she then felt she wanted a bit more one to one on the Maths so only now is she having some extra help on that front with only weeks to go. I know people say don't compare to other DC's but it is hard sometimes. And there seemed to be prep kids all around us at the open day. Of course everyone deserves a place with hard work but just want the reassurance that I am not totally barking for just even thinking she could get in.

Has boosted my confidence school being on side it has to be said and they fully support my decision to put her in for the exam. I think what is also on my mind is this almost expectancy from others that don't really know exactly how the 11+ works that she'll be fine, she's bright etc We all know many bright children don't always pass the 11+. I even know some of them.

Thanks for the offer of pming JM, may just do that
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

CM

Concerned you are going to have a flip out by the time the exams roll round! :D :)

You are doing all the right things- we can't all afford (or even want) prep school to prepare children for GS.

There are quite a few boys at AGSB who went to prep but lots more that did not. And to my knowledge some of the real high flyers in my sons year are state school primary boys.

So I am sure you are worrying unnecessarily ( and your daughter is probably not a bit bothered)!! Been there myself x
andyb

Post by andyb »

Both DS's went to "ordinary" primary. DS2 will be following DS1 to GS in September so it can be done. I did notice a lot more Indie boys at induction day this time round - possibly 30 in an intake of 180.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Hi Countrymum
DS attended State Primary where 11+ was neither prepared for or spoken of. We did not have him tutored, spent no money on preparing him other than buying the set of past papers from CSSE and did no prep whatsoever prior to the beginning of Y6. Not only did he pass 11+ but ranked first for super selective CRGS, the only grammar we listed.
So yes it is more than possible.
:)
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

countrymum wrote:Hi, just wanted a little reassurance that it is more than possible for a DC who has gone to a little state primary and when up against prep kids who day in day out are being taught the 11+ methods etc can still comfortably pass the 11+. I am trying to be as realistic as i can be and want to encourage my DD as much as possible but don't want to build hers and mine hopes up too much either. Someone told me that with her coming from state primary ( and although doing well ) she really shall have to pull out all the stops to pass against prep prepared children

Would really like to hear your success stories of state primary DC's who have passed.

Thanks.
My DS came from a very small state primary school. We had no support from his school with regard to the 11+. His teacher said in Year 5 that he was capable of passing but that was it. He was one of eleven pupils in his year group and out of those eleven, two (including DS) got into super-selective grammar schools! Quite impressive I think.

So, please don't think for a minute that your daughter is 'up against it'. Don't be put off by what other people say. Not everybody has the opportunity to put their child through private education to prep for the 11+.

My son also got a place at CRGS but it doesn't matter whether you get the first or the last place. Each child has worked hard regardless of where they have come from.

Good luck to you and your DD.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:CM

Concerned you are going to have a flip out by the time the exams roll round! :D :)

You are doing all the right things- we can't all afford (or even want) prep school to prepare children for GS.

There are quite a few boys at AGSB who went to prep but lots more that did not. And to my knowledge some of the real high flyers in my sons year are state school primary boys.

So I am sure you are worrying unnecessarily ( and your daughter is probably not a bit bothered)!! Been there myself x
Thanks Tiddlymum!

I just can't believe how quickly the time has flown and to now be only weeks away from the exam is bit of a wake up call to probably how little ( compared to others ) we have done in way of preparation. We are just at the stage where she is doing timed ( ish ) papers and although we can't really afford the tutor route ( we buy more 'no frills' type groceries etc rather than the branded amazing how many pennies can be saved ) have to be honest I am not the best teacher for the maths ( she tells me how many of the questions are worked out and I just say ' yes that's right' not having a clue how she gets there with the right answer ) so I think better that someone who knows what they are doing help her with that one.

I am trying to keep upbeat and not think about it too much, I like shopping so am finding that a good distraction :lol:
Last edited by countrymum on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

andyb wrote:Both DS's went to "ordinary" primary. DS2 will be following DS1 to GS in September so it can be done. I did notice a lot more Indie boys at induction day this time round - possibly 30 in an intake of 180.
Thanks andyb

I think i have this thing about my DD coming from state primary needing *more* preparation to keep up than the prep's but then they are all individuals aren't they rather than group of prep children or a group of state children. Feeling more reassured so thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now