14 weeks until Tiffin test - support thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

14 weeks until Tiffin test - support thread

Post by menagerie »

Hi

I've worked out it's less than 14 weeks until the test, and can't see a thread for this year's group.

How's everyone doing?
What prep are your DC doing at this stage?
What are your plans for work over the holidays? As the date has been moved forward will it affect your summer?
We're just doing 2 papers a week plus a bit of extra maths here and there, aiming to go through the 10 mins a day papers during the holidays and then timed tests in September. Does this sound reasonable?
coombeward

Re: 14 weeks until Tiffin test - support thread

Post by coombeward »

menagerie wrote: I've worked out it's less than 14 weeks until the test, and can't see a thread for this year's group.

How's everyone doing?
What are your plans for work over the holidays? As the date has been moved forward will it affect your summer?
We're just doing 2 papers a week plus a bit of extra maths here and there, aiming to go through the 10 mins a day papers during the holidays and then timed tests in September. Does this sound reasonable?
Hi, menagerie

Good to start this thread. I thought you were all for indies. Is Tiffin your plan B?

1. We are doing fine.
2. Athey/Ten minutes Tests for NVR & VR.
3. Only 2 weeks holidays this summer. Few days rest after coming back. So effectively 3 weeks off. We will then do timed tests. Probably, two papers a day, four days a week. Will also try to do bits of Maths/English.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Hi Coombe

Thanks for your reply. Yes we are concentrating on indies, but had put down to sit for Tiffin as a test run. We weren't keen on Tiffin at its open days, but recently I've heard such glowing praise from parents of boys who are there and keep thinking about how much DC could do with the money we'd save once they head off to uni/want to buy a house. So, the aim is to take the exam seriously and see what the outcome is, rather than use it simply as a practise for sitting quietly and still :shock: for three hours!

Your plan seems very calm and organised. Everyone else is quiet. I thought there'd be a lot of busy Tiffin mums around now that we're only weeks away.
stummyuk

Post by stummyuk »

How's everyone doing?
Waiting for the SGS mock exam results to provide me with an indication.

Mock papers at tutor every week and manage to do a 2 mock papers a week.
Need to get DS to slow down and check on accuracy.

What are your plans for work over the holidays? Definitely has affected our summer. There will be summer school for DS. We will be going away (hopefully) for a week at the end of August to break away from the preparation.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Hi - love the support thread :)

We haven't planned a holiday this year :( but have planned days away around the coast depending on the weather of course.

We are planning to do one paper a day - mark and go over the errors at the lesson. The rest of the time is to allow dd some time off - hopefully attempt the mornings so that the afternoons are free, seriously trying hard not to make it overwhelming. We have a mock planned in August and then get an idea of where we're at.

A staycation or examcation for us this year :) fingers crossed it will be a sunny and warm summer.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Hi Stummy and Yummy :D and welcome,

We're waiting for Sutton Mock results too. They should be out soon, shouldn't they?

We're away twice in the summer but will do the 10 mins-a-day and two or three papers a week as well as going over mental maths until we're all muttering the answers in our sleep.

Yummy - that sounds like a proper campaign. Good luck with it. Your DD deserves to do well. I think if you can get a paper out of them early in the morning they forget by lunchtime that they even did any work that day, but keep the benefits of regular practise.
tumpa

Post by tumpa »

we are staycationing and taking a few days out trip..
How was the SGS mock test for everyone?
My DS just got the cut off lower limit. Although haven't started exam papers actively yet other than what they are doing in prep school
For NVR any suggestion what all you folks are doing?
I am just finishing on the 10 mins tests yr 10-11 Bond and some papers. Plan to do some GL papers (pack 1 and 2)
Is that enough or are there any other papers that i am missing that others are doing?

In recent tests at the prep school my DS got pretty much same for VR and NVR - 85% on real 11 plus type papers.
Any idea what raw score is needed for tiffin cut off?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Not sure what the raw score is. Was wondering that myself.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now