Mock Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sss

Mock Exam

Post by sss »

Hi
My DD did a mock exam today with a fairly well known tutoring business (K**L in Shirley).
We were told that the mock exam is 'much harder than the real test' & I'm led to believe that achieving at least 65% in the test would give a fairly good indication on whether your child would obtain a grammar school place.
Is there anyone out there whose child did one of these mock exams in previous years &, therefore, whether these 'predictions' are worth their salt?
Or should we not look too much into the result: low mark=parents panicking; high mark=complacency/false sense of security.
Thanks
Last edited by sss on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
koala

Re: Mock Exam

Post by koala »

Both my DC did the same mock exam as your DD, 2 years ago in Sept, just before the exam in Nov. Their results were not that good - I can't remember their percentages but they were ranked around 100 out of the 200 children who took part. However, we used the results wisely by analysing where each of them had gone wrong, identified areas we needed to work on and the mock gave them exam practice. It also made them realise some of the silly mistakes they made (not turning over pages when they should have done, so they missed out some questions, answering with antonyms when they had asked for synonyms, etc). Although they found the exam hard, it made them realise they had to work hard for the next few weeks before the exam. Both are now at one of the KE grammar schools.

65% has been mentioned before but how do the mock exam organisers know this? In hindsight, although we were all disappointed with their results, it made us more focused in our goal to achieve. My friend's DS took the mock exam and scored very highly (top 5). Although it was obvious to us he would get into his first choice school, his parents didn't rest on their laurels and he took five exams (3 as back up) and was finally offered KES as well as his first choice state KE.

Don't worry about 65%. If you believe your DD is a good candidate, keep focused, whether her mock result was good or poor, and use the results to help you in your final preparations. Best wishes! Koala
sss

Post by sss »

Hi Koala
Thanks for your excellent reply- very intuitive & very much appreciated. I understand mock exams aren't the be all and end all but they do elicit weak points, as you say, which would & should need addressing.
Fingers crossed
sss
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Our daughter took a couple of exams with them last year, before the November 11+. Both times she scored around the midway mark & we were told she was likely to be borderline. I agree with Koala's assessment in that it is helpful to give them an experience of taking exams and to highlight areas of weakness, although our daughter's biggest weakness was concentration and that is not so easy to fix!

In the end we were delighted when our daughter gained a place at King Edward Handsworth - and not with the lowest possible score. I don't think the Shirley centre takes age into consideration when they mark and as our daughter has an August birthday, this probably worked in her favour. I shall be using their mock exams again as my Yr4 son and Yr2 son approach the 11+.
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Turtlegirl wrote:Our daughter took a couple of exams with them last year, before the November 11+. Both times she scored around the midway mark & we were told she was likely to be borderline. I agree with Koala's assessment in that it is helpful to give them an experience of taking exams and to highlight areas of weakness, although our daughter's biggest weakness was concentration and that is not so easy to fix!

In the end we were delighted when our daughter gained a place at King Edward Handsworth - and not with the lowest possible score. I don't think the Shirley centre takes age into consideration when they mark and as our daughter has an August birthday, this probably worked in her favour. I shall be using their mock exams again as my Yr4 son and Yr2 son approach the 11+.

I agree mocks are useful for identifying problem areas.

My daughter is hoping to go to Handsworth too, can I ask if you used the named centre for mocks only, (with tuition elsewhere), or did you also use that centre's tuition (computer and in person) with the mocks?
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Only used them for the mocks. My daughter went to a small group tutor but left that for a 121 (her distractability made the group unsuitable). We signed up for a month of last-minute prep online with them, which added variety to our preparation. My son is at a different small group tutor to the original one my daughter went to . I liked the folk at the Shirley centre but locations and timing weren't so great for us. I also think I prefer a more flexible approach to homework and my son is reluctant enough to lift a pen without putting all his homework online! May well use the month-long online course at a later date tho'.
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Thank you.
11plusnovice

Post by 11plusnovice »

Hi posting first time
After your DC's mock exam CCM are you concerned about performance and thinking of enrolling on their centre or online tuition programme. If this is the case I would ask them their sucess rate of children tutored at their centre and getting into their choice of grammar school. They cannot class children who do online programs or just taken the mock exams only as their students as it is the parents who are tutoring them or someone else.
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

I have visited the place in question, with my DD, but didn't feel it was right for her. I was interested in whether people use their mock exams as an additional testing place whether they use the tuition there or not. My DD will be doing the exam in 9weeks and I don't want to add more to her load, when I am using the advice on here along with advice from friends who have been through the process themselves. I assume the children will be given a chance to go though the paper to highlight weak areas, even if they don't normally attend.

Irrespective who tutors the child, others will try to take the credit e.g most of the Indie prep kids (as far as I know) have external tuition but the school will take the credit for the child's result, whether they were a factor or not. It's no different to that really.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now