Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
soupastar

Grammar Schools

Post by soupastar »

Hi there

Firstly I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this or if it is the wrong sort of post.

Basically we have received our sons end of year report for year 5 which gives a 4a for maths, 5c for reading and writing and a 4 for speaking and listening.

His teacher suggested that maybe we should be looking at grammar schools (which is news to us) as prior to this no one at his primary school had mentioned looking at Grammar Schools.

As I understand the closest Grammar Schools to us would be in Bexley, Bromley or Sutton but what I would really like to know is based on our sons recent report are we right to start looking at Grammar schools or would we be putting too much unreasonable pressure on him? What level should he be at to have a realistic chance for a Grammar school?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me and we are trying to gather as much information as possible.

Many thanks in advance

:)
Fingerscrossedmum

Re: Grammar Schools

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Well done to your son on his great report!

I'm also new to this and someone more experienced maybe along soon, but I think for the 11+ you are looking at 5 something scores.

The 11+ exams are at the start of september so you wouldnt have much time, but it might be worth buying some of the practise papers, you can get them online or in WH Smiths and let your son have a go at them and see how he goes. There is loads of great information on this site.

I think that if your son goes to school in a borough that has grammar schools, Bexley for example. he will take the 11+ at school. If he doesnt, ie Bromley, you will have to register him to take the exam. The closing dates are soon so its probably worth registering him even if you are not sure!

Good Luck!
soupastar

Post by soupastar »

thanks for the info :) . I have had a good read through some of the forums so have started looking at application dates etc.

I guess its the fact that I don't want to get ours or his hopes up if he is not really at the level required. Anyway I will get onto Amazon and start ordering some of the books mentioned.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi soupastar

The closing date for Bexley is next Tuesday (17/7) but I'm afraid you've missed St Olave's which was last Friday. Can't help with Sutton dates I'm afraid. You can register online for Bexley.

We've a thread going in Bexley/Bromley for 2012 test takers - come and join us :D

Bondgirl
soupastar

Post by soupastar »

thanks bondgirl will give it a look.
Juljana

Post by Juljana »

Hi There,

I am fairly new to this website. My daughter is in currently year 4 and her results at the moment are 5c in Maths, 4c in English, 5c reading and 4a science. I am looking for an experience grammar English teacher, does anyone know where I can find a very good one.

Many thanks,
Juljana :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now