Tour De France

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Tour De France

Post by doodles »

Sorry it had to be done, and I will probably be the only sad person on this thread and it will die an embarrassing death :oops: But once again I am completely addicted to the TDF, and no it's not the sight of men in lycra that does it! In fact the whole family is addicted :lol:

Now they are entering the high mountain stages the addiction is getting worse! How do you cycle up the Alps for heavens sake :lol:

It's a bit like therapy - my name is Doodles and I am a TDF addict!
marigold

Re: Tour De France

Post by marigold »

I am addicted too Doodles and I don't think I am speaking out of turn by telling you that mad? is also a member of the club. In fact, once we retire we plan to follow the Tour in a camper van. Would you like to join us ?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

We keep talking about that too, but I'm not sure I want to wait until I retire! Went over for a couple of stages last week - love the atmosphere :) Trouble is, what do you do - see every stage, or see some/most of them at the best points? They close the big mountains 2 or 3 days before the race goes through ... DH says this means we have to do a big trip more than once!

I am so happy about Brad being in yellow :) Haven't watched it at all today, so no spoilers before the highlights!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Ohh I can't believe I missed this thread but I was busy watching. I love it. I have a secret plan to add the Giro to the retirement trip (I never got a gap year you see...), and justify it all by sending the in between months around pools or areas of ancient historical interest in Greece. Of course you are right, the dilemma, can't do every stage unless you have a bike to get to some of them... (always assuming one can pedal up a vertical cliff of course) so I think one has to do the tour several times (teehee), do every second or third stage with suitably located rest days in small gites or little medieval mountain top towns populated by old men drinking Pernod at breakfast and with lovely little town squares in which to have long, long, plat du jour lunches and lots and lots of Rose. Also, my main worry about those mountain stages is how to drive up let alone park in those roads! Fun!
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Welcome, welcome, welcome. So good to meet fellow TDF addicts I never knew there was so many of us out there.

The camper van sounds very good to me, I would love to do it but don't think I can wait until I retire! In fact this it the only time of year I willingly do the ironing - put the board up in front of the tv and off I go; but it just takes ages 'cos I keep taking a break!!!

Just re-reading the book French Revolutions - about a guy that does the route - quite a good easy read!
marigold

Post by marigold »

In 1995 we were on holiday in France and were held up by the Tour on an extremely hot day. I remember being very angry at all the closed roads, we had a screaming two year old in the back ( affectionately known as doodles ) and a check in time to meet 100 miles away. How we cursed, how shameful.

In the spirit of the old buffers who manage to commentate for hours without drawing breath, feeding us snippets of useless information, I have just googled the 1995 Tour. It was won by Indurain and sadly Fabio Casartelli died after a fall in the mountains. He hit his head on a rock, he was not wearing a helmet. Further research has shown me that helmets were not compulsory until 2003, unbelievable.

French Revolutions is by the brother of a good friend ( mad?, he grew up in one of those lovely houses next to Ealing Studios on the Green). He has also done quite a good one on going to all the places on the Monopoly board.

See you all at 2pm.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I ordered French Revolutions as a present for DH this week :) I also do love Freya North's "Cat", but for some reason DH won't read it!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Coverage has already started on Eurosport...big pile of ironing at the ready. Had added French revolutions to my birthday list...LOVE those houses!
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Afternoon fellow TDF'ers. Just got in from work and Eurosport straight on, but we've now broken up so I can watch all day from tomorrow.

Now here's a question - which coverage do you prefer Eurosport or ITV4?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Eurosport for Live Coverage (more detail, less 'for those of you who know nothing about cycling' and lots of 'well nothing much is happening at the moment so let's think, who has the biggest thighs in the competition?') and ITV4 for the highlights because I think Chris Boardman and Gary Imlach are good.
mad?