Never Give Up On Your Children

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Morning Glory

Never Give Up On Your Children

Post by Morning Glory »

I have not been on this board recently but some of you may know me from a couple of years ago when I went through a very complex appeal for my DS.

Last October my DS took her 11+ and didn't qualify, we didn't expect her too and didn't appeal (she has always been an average child across the board). Since reception she has hated reading, even phonics were a struggle and when I think of the tears and tantrums we went through just to get her to read her book every night. I eventually took her off the school reading scheme myself as I believed that if she read something that interested her that may help. It helped a bit but she still struggled and would avoid reading when and however she could. I sent her to a tutor for a year to help and she highlighted that she might have some dyslexic tendencies and the 11+ tutor she went to just to be assessed also felt she probably had some dyslexic issues too. I know from the issues with my DS that these are not severe enough to get much support if any.

In Year 6 she has blossomed, she has a fantastic teacher who has been able to unlock her potential. Her maths has gone up 4 sub levels (yes 4) but she has not read a book at home for months (have given up nagging).

Today she came home with her SATs results and blow me down she only went and got a level 5 for her reading. I did check we had the right sheet. I know she will do well at her new school.

So any parents with children struggling with their reading or even getting them to read I hope this is an inspiration to you.
bondgirl

Re: Never Give Up On Your Children

Post by bondgirl »

Well done to your DD - that's a fantastic achievement! I hope she continues to blossom at secondary school :D
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Fantastic news MG! You must be so proud.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

:D :D :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's brilliant news MG! :D :D :D
poppit

Post by poppit »

Happy news indeed! :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Lovely post, great to hear , well done, a proud moment, MG :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Fantastic! :D
And just to add to this, I would also say that many, many children are 'late starters' - they all mature at different rates, and just because some bright spark is reading War and Peace in Reception, doesn't mean that he or she will still be streets ahead 10 years later. I know this both personally and professionally, and it is one of several reasons I don't like the 11+. I did actually read something a few years ago which suggested true genius tended to be found more in those who matured late. I am still waiting...

So as MG says, don't make assumptions about the ones who look as if they might not turn out to be academic; children always retain the capacity to surprise us. :D
OrganicGreen

Post by OrganicGreen »

I too am dyslexic and only found out when I was an adult while completing my IT prof training. I was ashamed for people to know how poor my reading and comprehension was; so I decided to treat myself by painfully and very slowly complete a non fiction book. I struggled to complete it; but over time I gradually increased in my reading speed. When I discovered that I loved learning from non fiction book I was well away. I read for the love of learning rather than just to read as an exercise. I ended up "over reading" as I wanted to learn so much about what every topic or area of study that interested me.

Now I actually read much more than the average or above average person. I also now review books for amazon. My partner who read fluently at 4-5 years old does not read much now.
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah that's really good to hear. I am genuinely interested in dyslexia / reading difficulties so please don't take my thoughts and questions amiss.

Could you now describe yourself as "dyslexic"? Why and in what way do you think you are now dyslexic? Do you think that if you went back to whoever said you were during your IT prof training that they would still describe you as dyslexic?

In what way did "treating" yourself by reading a non-fiction book differ from anything you had done before up to adulthood?

Have you found that reading a significant amount now as an adult has, without further effort, improved your spelling (if that was a "weakness" previously)?

Maybe your partner is "dyslexic" in some way too?! It would be perfectly possible to read "fluently" at 5 and be "dyslexic" as the reading of very many "fluent" 5 year olds is not as fantastic as we like to think --- give them an adult text book about IT and see if they can read it accurately and understand it!

All the best!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now