Time to say goodbye

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bustwinks

Time to say goodbye

Post by bustwinks »

Hello all, as some of you might know I have been working hard with my DS to put him forward for his 11plus this September......well just to let you know we really are saying no to it now. :|

We have just received his glowing report, which did bring a tear to my eye :cry: telling us how proud the teachers are with his determination and perserverance, with his maths teacher telling us how he has exceld this year.

However his levels just still are not up to scatch and we are not silly parents and want our son to enjoy his summer holidays and not be misserable...he really does not enjoy extra work..so for his and our sanity the local comp it will be.
He got Maths 4c :) Reading 4b :) .....writing 3a :( :(

Must say though our local comp has just been awarded another award and are now in the top 10% of comprehensives in the country...so not bad at, plus he also likes the idea of being home way before his sister.

He is happy and we are happy...so good luck to all of your children this September and I hope they all fullfill their dreams :)
Reading Mum

Re: Time to say goodbye

Post by Reading Mum »

Very good luck to you and yours bustwinks. I am sure it was a hard decision to make but I am sure you feel a sense of relief having made it. Enjoy the summer
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Thankyou Reading mum, we always said we would make the decison once we had his year 5 results.
Enjoy you summer also...hope your not camping...we are :roll:
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Well done to your son for getting such a good end of year report. You must be very proud of him. I am sure you will continue to be proud throughout his time at secondary school. Best wishes to him for September. xx
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I was wondering how things were going. I think you will find plenty of people on here who will be able to tell you , from personal experience , that your son will do just fine . Plus to receive a report telling you how hard he's worked and how well he's done....well you must be so, so proud. ( but then you knew that already ! )

I think as well to be brave enough to take a step back and really consider what is best for him, then that makes you a special kind of parent too. I hope it's not a total goodbye and we will still " see " you on here too , from time to time ? :D
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

How I wish there were more parents like you :D A good comprehensive is often an excellent school.

The levels you describe are average to slightly above for Y5, so not at all bad and I have known plenty of children gain grammar places with lower Y5 levels. If he works hard and maintains these levels he should do very well indeed. Enjoy the summer.
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Thank you for all your kind comments, I'm sure I will keep popping back on here, it's quite addictive. :)

My only concern is that I dont want my son to think his big sister is "better" than him (she is currently in year 7 of GS). So I just tell him truefully that she works alot harder than he does and that going to a grammar would have been just too much hard work...he is fine with this :D .
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

You must be a really great parent to have aimed for this and then taken the right decision, crucially at the right time in his life, so that he can enjoy the summer and feel proud of his school report and what he has achieved. Children develop at different ages. If you are lucky enough to have a great comp on your doorstep, coupled with your own diligence as parents, he will thrive there. Good luck to you. And have a fabulous holiday.
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

What lovely comments, thank you all very much :oops:

Just hoping for the rain to stop and the sun to shine !! :D
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

With a thoughtful, caring and grounded parent like you who so obviously is thinking 100% about the welfare of your DS and what is best for him, I think your DS shall be just fine in his chosen school and go on to be a fine young man indeed!! I wish you and him all the best for the future.

CM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now