11+ Familiarisation sessions at Bucks schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bucksmum

11+ Familiarisation sessions at Bucks schools

Post by bucksmum »

Could anyone please tell me whether the materials used for familiarisation have changed this year - I have heard from children of two different Bucks schools that they have covered types which do not fall under the 21 types included in Bucks 11+ exam - They seem to have covered question types such as underlining the word that cannot be made using a given word, crossword type questions where 5 words are given and you need to include them correctly in a grid, alphabet order and another question type similar to type C, but the code with letters, numbers and other symbols such as &,*,# etc. Are we supposed to cover these or are schools now given the go ahead to use additional material as well as the familiarisation pack from the county.

Best wishes
Bucksmum
scary mum

Re: 11+ Familiarisation sessions at Bucks schools

Post by scary mum »

I wouldn't have thought so - I've looked in "myths & legends" to see if this is in there but it isn't. This is from the Bucks CC website:
What is Familiarisation & Practice?
Children take five sessions of Familiarisation and three full Practice tests. The same pack is given to all children to give them the chance to try out the different types of question. The Practice tests look the same as the real tests and have the same instructions
I can't think for a moment that anything would be different this year, particularly as it will be changing next year. Maybe the school has just been throwing in some extra wordy exercises for the children?
Last edited by scary mum on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
patricia

Post by patricia »

I can absolutely assure you that the familiarisation has not changed. Its the same question types, the same questions. Some schools have already finished the 5 sessions and the booklets have been sent home.

Patricia
bucksmum

Post by bucksmum »

Scary mum/Patricia

Many thanks for reassuring - We were getting a bit worried!

Bucksmum
BUCKSMUM
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Hi Bucks Mum. My DS school did these types of tests as well a couple of years ago and really worried me too. Don't worry they just seem to use them to give them some sort of extra puzzle types to get them to think about the questions. :)
bucksmum

Post by bucksmum »

Many thanks Mrs Chubbs. I'm sure its nothing to panic.
BUCKSMUM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now