Tiffin Girls Open Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Elizabeth3

Tiffin Girls Open Evening

Post by Elizabeth3 »

Hello, did anybody attend the Tiffin Girls Open Evening yesterday? Please could you share any key messages from the Head and whether any more information was given about the Stage 2 test? Unfortunately I couldnt make it. Many thanks.
munch

Re: Tiffin Girls Open Evening

Post by munch »

We did go and the HM did not say a single thing about the new system at all. Perhaps because it was covered in the hand-out, however it did not go into any more detail than we have already seen.
It wasn't the longest talk I have heard, HM spoke for a bit and a Year 9 girl and one out of the 2 Head Girls spoke of their experiences. They were keen to get over the message that Tiffin Girls was not just about academic results which are outstanding, but there is the other stuff too, sports, music etc. HM also mentioned that the school knows each girl well and her education is tailored to match the potential she can reach.
The handout did mention that parents need to consider the journey to school. There is detention if you are late and no exceptions. Also mentioned the issue of making friends if girls are not local to the school.

The girls did not provide the tours after the HM's talk. You found your own way round which in our case was very time-consuming as we did do quite a bit of going round in circles. We wanted a quick tour as we were in a rush to be elsewhere so this was not good for us personally.

The school is indeed very impressive but we all know that already. :lol:
coombeward

Post by coombeward »

munch wrote: The school is indeed very impressive but we all know that already. :lol:
Fully agree with you. :wink:

HT also kept on emphasizing about 'community' work that girls do. Wish Governors also paid attention and do some thinking for local community as well.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

I went along to see for myself how good the school was and came away thinking why can't all schools be like this!

The speech came across highly motivating, especially on how it placed an importantance on each individual girl who would be lucky enough to be there. It was pitched that the school would be lucky to have the girls who qualified to be there - but we all know its the other way round!!

I didn't take my dd on the evening on purpose as I had already taken her to HBS earlier - I could see her hopes rising. I felt unsure of the fact of, would I be setting her up for a fall if she didn't get in. Instead I spoke to her about it and told her what I had seen. I think for me this was the best option and she seemed happy with my explanation. I know the argument here could be that it would motivate her more if she could see for herself but my instincts are to keep working towards the exams and hopefully we will get something on our wish list.

The downside for me was to see SO many people and that a sea of people placing their hopes on 150 available spaces seemed more a lottery than ability based entr.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

My Goodness, yummycool, your wings have really big span. From Langley (Slough) to HBS (North London) to Tiffin (Kingston) and perhaps, Bucks grammars too.

Amazing. :roll: Keep it up. By the way, little farther from HBS is Essex county. They have some nice grammars too. Kendrik perhaps not in grab any more.

Just one suggestion. There is a danger of losing sight of your real choice. Some of the exams are quite different from other one.

On the other hand, fully agree with you about Tiffin Girls. Amazing school.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Tiffinboys is it just me or do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your reply.

My views were on the Tiffin Girls Open Evening and NOT on the various schools that I have chosen to look at.

I am neither losing sight and I am perfectly capable of making an informed decision on the information that is available to all.

Your reply does nothing to support a parent who is in the same boat as yourself.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Yummycool,

My DD is at TGS and it is a fantastic school, as is HBS which we also looked at. I think the reason those schools are great is precisely because they select the most able and are not restricted by distance criteria. Unfortunately some people are jealous. In my opinion if people want to turn TGS into a semi selective comp perhaps they should get behind the campaign to build the new school on the North Kingston site next to TGS.

I hope the new admission tests level the playing field a bit and select the most able and not necessarily the most tutored.

Good luck to you and your DD and I hope you get the school you want.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

yummycool wrote:Tiffinboys is it just me or do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your reply.

My views were on the Tiffin Girls Open Evening and NOT on the various schools that I have chosen to look at.

I am neither losing sight and I am perfectly capable of making an informed decision on the information that is available to all.

Your reply does nothing to support a parent who is in the same boat as yourself.
Am I in the same boat? No
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

TiffinGirls wrote:Yummycool,

My DD is at TGS and it is a fantastic school, as is HBS which we also looked at. I think the reason those schools are great is precisely because they select the most able and are not restricted by distance criteria. Unfortunately some people are jealous. In my opinion if people want to turn TGS into a semi selective comp perhaps they should get behind the campaign to build the new school on the North Kingston site next to TGS.

I hope the new admission tests level the playing field a bit and select the most able and not necessarily the most tutored.

Good luck to you and your DD and I hope you get the school you want.
@Tiffingirls:

Fully agree with you. TGS is fantastic school.

Jealous! No. We only aim for fair admission policy. It's others who may be so and suggest that instead of Tiffins adopting fair admission policy, should rather become comprehensive. It doesn't matter them, but it does a lot to local parents.

Semi-selective comprehensive. we do not wish TGS to become that and neither can any new school be selective or partially selective.

About English/Maths test: You may not have my previous posts, I welcome these tests ever since the School announced these. But I feel that more details should be given about the format/contents like HBS has done.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Interesting you should mention HBS. When my DD applied there, they released absolutely no information. However information was available to the local tutors after years of debriefing their students. I wrote to HBS at the time as I thought it was grossly unfair. The following year they released short practise papers.

At TGS everyone is in the same boat at the moment. I do feel though that there may be more information about the test given to local primaries informally than we are aware of.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now