Council decision on grammar annex in Sevenoaks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Council decision on grammar annex in Sevenoaks

Post by mystery »

I made a request under FOI to find out what was discussed and agreed at the council debate in March. I have set out what I received below. It doesn't really say anything concrete so far as I can tell, and it's not saying there will definitely be a grammar annex or grammar school in Sevenoaks.

This is exactly what I received:

Thank you for your request for information.

Please find below the following links to the County Council meeting on 29 March, where the petition regarding a Grammar School for Sevenoaks was debated.

http://kent590w3:9070/mgAi.aspx?ID=19081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kent.public-i.tv/core/portal ... e/10621000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the present time, no formal decision has been taken, but the Cabinet Member for Education, Learning & Skills is pursuing proposals to provide, by 2015, a 2 form entry of selective secondary provision for boys and a 2 form entry of selective secondary provision for girls in or close to Sevenoaks Town for students resident in the Sevenoaks area, that would meet legal requirements.
mummabear

Re: Council decision on grammar annex in Sevenoaks

Post by mummabear »

Hi Mystery, not sure whether you are aware of this debate but thought it might be of interest to you and many of us on here MB.

http://www.sevenoakspeople.co.uk/chance ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

As far as I can ascertain ACE or at least one person involved has..........how can I put this........a position unlikey to be sympathetic towards grammar schools.
However in spite of this I did start the questionnaire in good faith but lost the will to live after a while and did not complete it.

Unfortunately I shall be attending an evening performance at my sons school this evening, as will many a parents of this key school will and therefore will not be able to attend Knole to put their views.
Lucky for a number of people with a political agenda that this is the case, or was that intended? :?:
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm just puzzled by the whole thing, and don't know whether all these discussions and meeting - including the council one earlier this year - are just various attempts to keep various voters happy or if they really form part of some serious decision-making process.

For example, the Christian School bid is in the the DfE at the moment waiting for a decision under the free-schools programme, and it looked as though last night's meeting was going to discuss it in some way - surely there's no way that a meeting like that in 7oaks is going to have any bearing on the final decision either way?

The longer it drags on the slimmer anyone's chances of starting up new places by September 2013 other than Knole and the existing grammars.

We received an invitation to last night's meeting the day before yesterday I do believe - I'm guessing that is what it was as I couldn't open the attachments. I don't know how or when it was advertised but I'm sure there were loads of people who couldn't have gone. Meetings like that can't really form part of anything serious can they - they are just a very public sector attempt to look like something is being done. One has no way of knowing whether the views represented there are representative, or if the "facts" stated by the various factions are correct. Pointless chit-chat I would think.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I've wondered that in the past , with various other things , Mystery. I'm sure the Bigwigs have all their plans set into place and are just going through the motions. It's a nice idea to think people power may have some influence, but I'm not sure. :?

P.S Hope you had The Unforgiving Coat on as disguise and are signing your emails with your forum username...or you will be a marked woman !
doodles

Post by doodles »

scarlett wrote: It's a nice idea to think people power may have some influence, but I'm not sure. :?

It is a nice thought Scarlett but like you I am rather sceptical as to how much they actually listen to the people. One can only hope that they listen to the hard facts that there are / going to be more children needing school places.
mystery

Post by mystery »

KCC has produced its own documents on the number of new school places they need to commission area by area ......... that's one of their roles.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The Christian school has been approved, and plan to open a school in 2013. They hope to use the Wilderness site. So where does that leave the grammar school?
doodles

Post by doodles »

PChick where did you hear this from? It's big news!

Long term planning on school places is what is needed, especially as there is so much building in Dunton Green at the moment.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry PC found this link:

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Joy-Sevenoa ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anybody know what their admissions criteria is going to be? Surely if it is along the lines of Bennett and St Gregory's it is just going to mean more children travelling into Sevenoaks from outside the area and won't cater for those in Sevenoaks whose parents don't attend church regularly.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now