mock tests gloucester area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum23*

mock tests gloucester area

Post by mum23* »

Hi has anyone ever done a mock test in this area? I haven't but I wondered if you think it is a good idea or if a DC didn't do that well it would spook them and make them panic? I do think that exam technique and controlling nerves can play a pretty big part on the day so could a chance to experience doing a test with others in exam type condition before the real thing be beneficial?..what are your thoughts? I am helping a couple of DCs prepare and was wondering if it might be a good idea to get together with others (tutors or DIYers) to do a mock. Helpful or bad idea?
dams

Re: mock tests gloucester area

Post by dams »

I would recommend doing at least one mock test prior to the real exam. This will help to familiarise to the exam conditions, practicing the answering techniques and time management. We organised a mock test for my DD and 4 of her friends using the Gloucestershire format. She found it very useful.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I think it might be a good idea and I have been told there is one at Gloucester Museum so I will look into that. Thanks.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Has anyone ever used the company running the mock tests in Gloucester museum on the 11th Aug? It costs £45 so I wondered if it was worth it?
Orson

Post by Orson »

It may be worth it for the experience. However, when considering the minimal feedback offered I'm not sure it represents particularly good vfm.
IMO - Better to pay a reputable tutor (if you can find one) who can administer tests and follow up with analysis which includes a detailed look at the errors and guidance as to ways to improve methods and exam technique.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

thanks Orson, I am ok with helping improve errors etc. It was definitely more the exam experience I was thinking of. Might be just as good to organise something with a few DCs.
Orson

Post by Orson »

Cheaper and less hassle, of course, but there is that authentic 'experience factor' that will be missed out on. You will also need to come up with appropriate mock papers and, I presume, a suitable venue. A room in a village hall would do and shouldn't be too expensive. Will PM you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now