JHGS - Which calculator?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
misspiggy

JHGS - Which calculator?

Post by misspiggy »

Hi, can anyone help me. I'm trying to get organised and only this weekend got his sports kit (cost close to £200 from Sports Crest...and thats without the outdoor trainers/rugby boots!)
Well today, I've decided to pop out during my lunch break and get the rest of the things he needs (black trousers, shirts etc..)

But I remember hearing/reading somewhere about a specific calculator they need for maths. Is this correct? or is it just any scientific calculator will do? Any help appreciated as I intend to get some new stationery supplies for him too.

many thanks!
MrsH173015

Re: JHGS - Which calculator?

Post by MrsH173015 »

Hi. I have probably missed your lunchbreak now, but I have the JHGS pack in front of me. It's the Casio FX83 Plus which is recommended. Says it can be bought from school also. I've bought one and it looks fairly bog standard (if a little on the large side!). Hope your boy enjoyed last Tuesday as much as mine did (7C).
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thank you for replying. Yes, I missed getting the calculator in the lunch break but think I have everything else now (except for rugby shoes/outdoor trainers)
my son appeared to have enjoyed last week and likes his form tutor (did'nt say very much about about the other boys in his class at this stage) (7B).

Once again, many thanks for replying :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I have discovered (belatedly) that buying from school (certainly at BGS) is by far the cheapest way of getting a calculator.
scary mum
jhgsstudent2010

Post by jhgsstudent2010 »

Hi,

I am a J.H.G.S. Student, and I have been in the school for nearly three years. Now, I know that it seems like you have to follow the guidelines! But the recommended calculator that is previously mentioned, is not to followed via strict guidelines! It is fine to use any calculator such as Sharp or Casio, as long as it has scientific functions! I hope this helped. Good luck to your son, I shall probably see him next year!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's much easier for the teacher to help if they use the recommended calculator - most Bucks schools seem to recommend that one.

If a pupil brings a different model then time can be wasted trying to find out how it works.
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thank you all for your help. I have now since purchased the required calculator (if anyone else is interested, Argos has it for £6.99).
:D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

BGS sell them on reception, much cheaper than the shops (£5) so maybe other schools do too.
scary mum
Maidenhead Mum

Post by Maidenhead Mum »

Scary Mum, do become familiar with the make and model because if my son is anything to go by this will be the first of many calculator purchases you will make over a JHGS lifetime. Your reference to 7B made me smile wistfully; how time flies. My son now in Year 12 will be the Prefect for that form next year....

*sorry I just notices this should be addressed to miss piggy*!
KT36

Post by KT36 »

hi

Not really a calculator question, but a JHGS uniform question :?

I'm just getting organised with DS uniform as he's starting in JHGS in September, do you need to buy the black blazer from the school uniform shop in HW or will any black blazer (from M&S, JL etc) be OK? Do you just sew badge on? Sorry if being thick... this Friday is dedicated school uniform shopping day (god help my bank account :lol: :lol: )

thanks

KT