Saying goodbye to Junior School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
harlequin

Saying goodbye to Junior School

Post by harlequin »

Hi

It was my DS last day at Junior school today and I felt a little emotional and quite sad with a lump in my throat at the thought of not seeing the same school and familiar faces again :(

I noticed that some of the girls were also getting emotional at the thought of not seeing some of their friends again and it was the same when my DD left the same Junior school a few years ago.

Did anyone else feel the same mixed emotions?

Harlequin
scary mum

Re: Saying goodbye to Junior School

Post by scary mum »

We are building up to it at the end of the week. Feeling sad as its not the same when they are at senior school as you aren't at the school gate, but excited at the next phase for my youngest.
scary mum
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Yes scary mum, I'm feeling mixed too.....it's an exciting new start at his first choice GS, but the end of an era......my youngest child and the end of those cute school plays and all the contact that you have with form teacher etc........tomorrow is the big day.....tissues at the ready!
DS def ready though, and just as mixed. Going to palm lots play dates per the summer but I know by October half term it'll be a new group of mates that we don't even know at the moment!
Good luck all......
vasu

Post by vasu »

I thought I was the only one :shock:. I am an emotional wreck! My son thinks I have gone mad. He is emotional but I have taken a few steps further.... sobbing while listening to goodbye songs :oops: . I guess I am not ready for ds to go to high school...eventually college...and then off............. :cry:
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

After watching the Year 5/6 production last night, with tears in my eyes .... I am dreading the Leavers Assembly today ..... just know that the tears will be there again.

I will miss Primary School in lots of ways but am looking forward to being free from the pressures of collecting the children at 3.10pm. and the guilt that I have not always been able to attend the assemblies and day trips out.

I know my DS will make lots of new friends .... but I hope he manages to keep some of the old ones as they have just had a great 7 years together.

Can feel a lump forming as I write this now so am going to stop .......
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I feel sad also and I haven't even got a year 6 child! It will seem odd without them, and even odder that my second ds will now be in year 6, and therefore one of the older ones.
doodles

Post by doodles »

With DS1 I remember the thought of leaving was actually worse than the leaving day itself. I was actually quite relieved to get home, shut the door and start the summer break.

Good luck to all those whose DC leave but there are exciting times ahead for you.
andyb

Post by andyb »

With DS1 it was quite traumatic - he was completely blase right up until 12.30pm on the last day when he burst into tears and was inconsolable for hours afterwards (I have the photos to prove it :wink: ). DS2's last day is tomorrow and he seems to be reacting in a similar way, he did say the other day that he doesn't want to leave - I have a worrying sense of deja vu :(.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Both my children have left primary school but I still remember their leavers' assemblies like they were yesterday. It was all very emotional but they were ready to move on.

My niece leaves her school tomorrow after seven years and my sister has written a lovely poem for her to read out in assembly. Just reading this has nearly reduced me to tears!
Torty

Post by Torty »

I am so pleased I am not the only one either :oops: My DD Yr 6 Leavers Assembly was wonderful, but I cried all through it ... then she did a clarinet solo and I cried even more :oops: and when her class sang Heal the World by Michael Jackson I buried myself amongst the tissues and gave up trying to hide the tears :lol:

I loved being part of Primary years and DD was fortunate to have such a wonderful school that we will all miss :cry: ... and to think of making new friends and starting again is daunting ... but a little exciting too.

Good luck to all who change schools.

I can still hear the words of the Leavers Song in my head :roll: :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now