Slough tutors 11+ NVR - How does it rate to GL?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
janet71

Slough tutors 11+ NVR - How does it rate to GL?

Post by janet71 »

My son is getting about 75-80% on the GL Pack 1 & 2 NVR papers - I was looking for other material for him to do and came across this Slough Tutors paper

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free-1 ... -reasoning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My son only got 50% and is devistated - I was under the impression that the GL papers were the closest to the real test (NFER North yorks) so does anyone know how these papers fair to the real thing?
stevew61

Re: Slough tutors 11+ NVR - How does it rate to GL?

Post by stevew61 »

Just had a quick look at that paper, I wouldn't use it for my DD's preparation.

The print quality is poor, symbol set non-standard and all the questions seem to contain four levels of information. the real papers start of easy and get harder. This paper just contains hard questions. I might use parts of that paper to work through together as a how to do hard questions session. I know if I used it under exam conditions we would have a disaster and a setback in confidence.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Cheers steve Ive explained to my DS its good to see hard questions and we will go through them tomorrow and to ignore his results hes ok about it now and understands that seeing hard questions is all part of the learning.
cheers
mxa03u

Post by mxa03u »

There are other free VR and NVR papers you can download off a USA college site, I remember pointing some of my ex-yr6 students in this direction last year.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

mxa03u wrote:There are other free VR and NVR papers you can download off a USA college site, I remember pointing some of my ex-yr6 students in this direction last year.
Do you have the link or name of the college?
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

It is a few years since I went through this but I remember there was a shortage of NVR materials on the market. I would use the Bond books as well, maybe the ones aimed at the younger year groups first to build up confidence.

I photocopied papers (the NFER or whatever it is called as they used them at the school). Cut them up and arranged the questions into types and subtypes. There is only a finite amount of ways they can ask the question. At the beginning me and DD did query some of the answers but if you "learn" what you are supposed to be looking for that helps.

If the exam is NFER have you considered the electronic aps in the shop? That would give your son a greater number of questions to practice with.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

We have GL pack 1 & 2, Bond & CPG and been through them all now but revisiting them all now through the summerhols - He seems to get 70-75% which I would like to improve (his test is VR & NVR only and he gets about 85% on the VR Bright sparks so Im hoping that this will bring his average up) when we go through the answers I can sometimes see what is wrong/right but other times if just isnt obvious atall so its a little tough but we are going to go over them all in the 6 weeks and hope that he can "learn" what is right if anything to bump up his scores to late 70's% at least.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now