RGS Guildford Summer school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
menagerie

RGS Guildford Summer school

Post by menagerie »

DS and friends are at the RGS Summer school this week and loving it. They came home bouncing off the walls with excitement and haven't stopped yattering on about what they learned today.

Highly recommend this for anyone in the Guildford area with an academic child going into Yr5 next year. It's open to state educated able boys and girls in Yr 5 and is a week of free tuition in place of the final week of summer term at school.

Today they did: soldering in DT; fencing; the Greek alphabet and history of Greek Olympics and Delphi; dramatisation of Roald Dahl's Boy; setting up their own websites with individual pages about themselves; maths (didn't get out of them what they did in maths as they were obsessed with Classics, fencing and DT.

It genuinely sounds as though they learned more today than they did throughout this term at their complacent primary.
menagerie

Re: RGS Guildford Summer school

Post by menagerie »

Hi

I see that this post has had quite a few views but no comments. Well, DS LOVED the summer school and so did his friends.

I highly recommend it for any Surrey parents of children about to enter Yr 5 - you don't have to be considering indies, although for us it was a superb guide to how good a school it is. DS went on and on about the teachers' energy levels and enthusiasm and commitment.

Highly recommended.
Henrico

Post by Henrico »

I've been wondering about this school for my DS. Just looked at the website: is it for DC who are just about to go into year 6, rather than for those going into year 5? Do you know if you can be from 'Surrey', or does it have to be from the Guildford area (I see they have a link with Holy Trinity?) Think my DS would really enjoy this. Do you know how many places there are? Think DS would prefer it if he went with a friend.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Henrico, the summer school is one week a year after they have broken up for the summer, but before state schools break up. So it will next be on in the summer of 2013. It is open to academically able children in yr 5 from local state primaries. We aren't really local but children from our area go to RGS, so it's commutable. They weren't put off by that and all the children from our school who applied got in.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

menagerie wrote: It is open to academically able children
Who decides if they are academically able?
menagerie wrote: all the children from our school who applied got in.
Did your primary school apply? Did you apply? Did your primary school tell you about this opportunity?

(Sorry for all the questions, it is just so it will help me find out about any opportunities for my DS)
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

They state in their remit that it is open to academically able children. They don't state it's for gifted and talented. I think they just mean the pace is fast and you need to both keep up and enjoy that fast pace of work. They repeat nothing; they give children very high levels of responsibility and expect no messing around at any time. If a child can cope with these, I'm sure they'd be fine, even if they're not straight 5s at end of yr 5.

We saw it and asked our head if we could apply and suggested it to some other parents we know are going for the 11+. The head then agreed and submitted our applications. We will suggest from next year that the school lets parents know about it, as no one had heard of it until this year. But our school takes a very dim view of selection in any form and will probably 'forget' to pass the info on.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

menagerie wrote: But our school takes a very dim view of selection in any form and will probably 'forget' to pass the info on.
Sounds like our school too :twisted: :twisted:
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I really don't understand the attitude. We have sports day every year with the wonderful athletes grinning and getting cups and accolades while my splay footed DS trots in last. So why not allow him to feel good about what he can do? Why celebrate competition in one area and disapprove of it in another. hijacking my own thread here, but I do despair.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

menagerie wrote:I really don't understand the attitude. We have sports day every year with the wonderful athletes grinning and getting cups and accolades while my splay footed DS trots in last. So why not allow him to feel good about what he can do? Why celebrate competition in one area and disapprove of it in another. hijacking my own thread here, but I do despair.
Menagerie, are you my long lost twin? I could have written this post.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I bet we're not just twins on this forum 999. I bet we are multiples to break the records.