Inference questions for comprehension.

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LGGSmumofhope

Inference questions for comprehension.

Post by LGGSmumofhope »

Inference in comprehension, for my daughter, well it's just not happening.
If anyone can give me any tips I would be very grateful.
menagerie

Re: Inference questions for comprehension.

Post by menagerie »

Discuss them. Read the questions in advance. Get her to read the passage aloud, and then ask her sto stop at the points where you know inference questions will come up and ask: what do you think they mean by that? Why did they say that? What is that suggesting without spelling it out?

I tutor English and find the majority of children just aren't taught to trust their instincts so in inference questions they panic because they are blindly looking for a right or wrong answer and can't find one. Start by reassuring her that it's her opinion that is being sought (in the first instance.) If she's way off target, suggest the correct answer and ask if she thinks it might be this, and if so, why, so she can work out how to reach an inferred answer.

Generally, start asking lateral questions. In the supermarket: why do you think that child might be screaming? Why do you think the woman put back the cake and bought basics biscuits instead? In the park: why do you think the tiny dog is barking at the huge dog? Why do you think someone left a sandal behind?
When you read together at night, always ask when you get to a chunk of text where meaning is implied and if she struggles, guide her towards the implicit answer, so she sees the approach to it.
LGGSmumofhope

Post by LGGSmumofhope »

Thank you.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Some good advice from Menagerie. I'd also ask her about her favourite television programmes. What does she think is going to happen next? How does she think the character is going to react/behave? Why? How is the person feeling? How can we tell? What clues are there... eg body language/what the character does/says/ how others respond to that particular character/how the character reacted last time she was in this type of situation, has anything changed to make her react differently this time etc....
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I agree. I seem to remember Ourmam had some brilliant creative ideas about skill building in English on another thread. Do you remember where, Ourmam?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Menagerie. I'm sorry, I'm off to Italy in the morning so I'm pretty rushed for time or I'd dig it out, but I'm pretty sure it was a Fatbananas' thread. :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Well, it's taken me a while, amongst all the threads I've started on this subject :roll:, but I THINK I've found the thread you mean. It's not directly about inference and comprehension but I was talking about trying to get DS to think about characterisation. In this thread, both Menagerie and OurMam talk about characterisation being inferred from action or showing a behaviour/ mannerism.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 1&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a positive note, and I'm sure all will be relieved to hear it :lol:, I realize, having re-read this thread, that, despite DS's SATS mark having remained the same between year 2 and year 3, I can detect a definite advance in his knowledge/ ability in story ideas; about story structure and characterisation. If only he could do it in the classroom.

Sorry for a slight hijack.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
bravado

Post by bravado »

fatbananas wrote:Well, it's taken me a while, amongst all the threads I've started on this subject :roll:, but I THINK I've found the thread you mean. It's not directly about inference and comprehension but I was talking about trying to get DS to think about characterisation. In this thread, both Menagerie and OurMam talk about characterisation being inferred from action or showing a behaviour/ mannerism.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 1&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a positive note, and I'm sure all will be relieved to hear it :lol:, I realize, having re-read this thread, that, despite DS's SATS mark having remained the same between year 2 and year 3, I can detect a definite advance in his knowledge/ ability in story ideas; about story structure and characterisation. If only he could do it in the classroom.

Sorry for a slight hijack.
Ahh SATS grrrrr! :x :x I feel your pain lol!
DC went up an entire level in Reading and two sub-levels in Writing from last year's report but stayed the same at Speaking and Listening. Everything the teacher wrote about their speaking and listening skills was equally as glowing as last year...so we couldn't understand why DC hadn't moved up in the same way as everything else has. Turns out the Headmaster feels (with the shockingly minimal evidence of two other children's reports) that she was over-marked last year and then proceeds to tell us it's an entirely subjective category anyway!

Sorry for the additional hijack...but depending on when your DC takes the exam I can suggest the "New Reading & Thinking" series might be useful for inferencial help. I wanted to reassure you that you're not on your own, my DC struggles with this aspect of the English paper too and I'm trying to encourage them to be confident in what they think is happening.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'm trying to encourage them to be confident in what they think is happening.
I think this is key.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

then proceeds to tell us it's an entirely subjective category anyway!
unfortunately he's right, it is 'best fit' rather than whether there are elements of a level. Far harder to level than something like maths.
it's very "woolly"

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... inment/en1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now