The Olympics - London 2012

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

The Olympics - London 2012

Post by doodles »

We've had a torch thread so I think we need one for the Games themselves. Having been through the bah humbug phase I am now quite excited and my sport mad DH and DS's are almost beside themselves. I am being a little more restrained but have painted my toenails gold in support of Team GB.

The boys and I are decorating their bedrooms today and tomorrow - need to get them done before Friday so I can move onto the sitting room and watch TV and paint at the same time from Monday :lol: :lol: :lol:

What are people looking forward to most? I can't wait for the cycling and field events, the pole vault in particular as I've always nursed a (not so) secret wish to have a go at it :shock:
Snowdrops

Re: The Olympics - London 2012

Post by Snowdrops »

For it to be over :lol: :lol: :lol:

All there seems to be on the TV at the moment is sport, sport, sport sport, sport, sport and even more sport. And it won't stop for a while yet.

Whilst I appreciate millions of people like sport and want to watch it, I do think proper (and by that I don't mean re-runs of 2nd rate films/series etc) alternatives should be offered. Afterall, we have enough TV channels to sink a battleship these days, even on the good old bog standard BBC and ITV channels alone!
SUpple

Post by SUpple »

What are people looking forward to most?
I am not ashamed to admit I am looking forward to seeing Gary Linekar presenting the evening show, and David Beckham take part in the Opening Ceremony. Me, shallow? :lol:

On a serious note, I always look forward to any athletic, swimming and hockey event. We are looking forward to the Olympics and Paralympics, and can't wait!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I like athletics and get interested in quite a few other sports when big events like this are on - I can't bear the drivel & hype on the TV .. reckon we need some new commentators. How about Henry Blofeld for the 100m dash? Oh my dear old thing!
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Really looking forward to the Athletics 200m & 400m final on 9 Aug - will be there!!!!

Not looking forward to the security searches & travel though ..............
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yeah, the 'drivel and hype' is p*****g me off big time too. Whatever happened to being understated, or letting things speak for themselves? All the merchandising - "merch'', as my kids call it if they spot somebody who is clearly not from 'Team GB' (that gets up my nose too) festooned in garments claiming membership- and incessant 'countdowns' have left me wondering what on earth it will be like when it actually gets started. The news that uplifting music will be played during events has led me to think I shall actually have to turn the sound down on the TV if I do watch anything; at least that will spare me the hysteria of orgasmic-sounding commentators giving themselves heart attacks every time someone whose grandmother ever visited Britain or one of its colonies looks like winning.

I like the gymnastics and diving.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Still a bit bah humbug about the whole business, but I always enjoy watching the athletics, swimming & diving. Just read Ambers reply, of course, the gymnastics too.
scary mum
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Snowdrops wrote:All there seems to be on the TV at the moment is sport, sport, sport sport, sport, sport and even more sport. And it won't stop for a while yet.

Whilst I appreciate millions of people like sport and want to watch it, I do think proper (and by that I don't mean re-runs of 2nd rate films/series etc) alternatives should be offered. Afterall, we have enough TV channels to sink a battleship these days, even on the good old bog standard BBC and ITV channels alone!
We bought series 1 and 2 of The Killing but we are already on disk 3 and it hasn't even started yet. There has just been nothing worth watching for so long.

DD wants to watch the diving (think she is a bit keen on Tom Daly) and the rowing as the GB team came in to her school and they all did a rowathon
marigold

Post by marigold »

Just grit your teeth and remember Downton is due back in September.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I always enjoy the athletics, swimming and gymnastics. Also the equestrian events and diving has been a must in recent years. Not to mention the rowing, and canoe slalom as I used to go to school with the ex-world champion's sister. Oops, look likes I'm spending all of the next few weeks sitting on the sofa. :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now