Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
faz

Bushey Meads School

Post by faz »

hi, can anyone tell me what bushey meads is like, is it a
good school, any information would be great,
what do parents whos kids go there think of the school.
Any views on westfield would also be welcome
thank you
BaldPeg

Re: Bushey Meads School

Post by BaldPeg »

My son is at Watford Grammar School for Boys. He was fortunate enough to be given his first choice on allocation day in 2009. However, Bushey Meads was one of the schools we considered and we would have been content with an offer from that school had he not been offered his first choice.

Bushey Meads School is partially selective. All candidates are required to sit the SW Herts Consortium test (for banding purposes); and children may also sit a non-verbal reasoning test for 17 technical places.

Westfield School is non-selective and not a school that we considered for my son, despite being geographically closer to our home than schools we preferred. However, they are making a great effort to attract brighter children. Last year they introduced a 'Grammar School' stream for their top sets. They offer these children two modern languages and Latin from Year 7. At my son's school they have to drop Latin in Year 8 if they want to take up a second modern language. If your child is particularly bright and has an aptitude for languages you might want to consider Westfield if you live nearby.
decaff

Post by decaff »

I would also like to add that boys who get an A in their GCSE maths at Westfield and who wish to do Maths and further maths at A level are allowed to do this at WGB. It may also apply to other A levels. Both schools have some sort of link/partnership. I don't have a child at either school but one of my friends son and a number of his year are going to do A Level Maths at Watford boys in September.
faz

Post by faz »

than you for your replies.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now